BtSync + CIFS Configuration - Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter

Cadet
What I'm going for:
BtSync folders within a CIFS share that anyone on the network can read/write/delete.
The idea is to use BtSync to sync files to laptops or other computers that go offsite while using the CIFS share for local desktops.

I've tried a bunch of different configurations with help from various threads and videos.
I have been able to change permissions to allow btsync to write to the CIFS per this thread.
This thread seemed to work well for setting up the CIFS share without logging in. Should I stick with guest as the user/group or use btsync 817 throughout?

I seem to get stuck in two places:
1. Sometimes BtSync seems to have trouble installing - setup jails, install btsync, start jail, btsync doesn't appear in installed plugins...
2. I'm not able to read, but not edit files that BtSync writes (coming from other computers)

I believe my issue is somewhere in how I setup permissions with my volume and jails.
I just downloaded the latest stable release and did a clean install - any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if it matters in this instance, but it's running on a ASRock E3C226D2I w/16GB of ECC RAM on a 2TB Black mirror - Kingston 16GB USB stick.

Thanks!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

Walter

Cadet
Thank you a thousand times. What a relief to have that functioning. Now I can at last move my files into my FreeNAS!

What I did:
Created 1 user and group on the FreeNAS side: btsync UID:817
Gave that user and group read/write and ownership of everything - volumes, CIFS

Not sure if this was the fix to my plugin install issues, but after adding jails and configuring CIFS I rebooted, then installed btsync without a hitch.

I have it setup so that anyone on the network can access the CIFS share without a password and read/write anything. Works great.

A note: change your refresh settings under plugins/bittorrent sync if you want updated files on your freenas to be synced with other computers quicker.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thank you a thousand times. What a relief to have that functioning. Now I can at last move my files into my FreeNAS!

What I did:
Created 1 user and group on the FreeNAS side: btsync UID:817
Gave that user and group read/write and ownership of everything - volumes, CIFS

Not sure if this was the fix to my plugin install issues, but after adding jails and configuring CIFS I rebooted, then installed btsync without a hitch.

I have it setup so that anyone on the network can access the CIFS share without a password and read/write anything. Works great.

A note: change your refresh settings under plugins/bittorrent sync if you want updated files on your freenas to be synced with other computers quicker.
Great, glad it worked for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.