Bridge can't be default gateway?

Slugger

Cadet
em0: mgmt network
vlan44: trusted hosts
vlan88: untrusted devices

I've created two bridges for the vlans so I can create jails attached to the vlans as needed. All that works fine. Wanted to set the FreeNAS default gw to vlan44 so as to keep the mgmt network clear. But when I try to set the gw to the bridge address the ui tells me it can't reach the gw address.

I looked at the source and can see that it's intentionally ignoring bridges when validating the gw address, but is there a reason why?

Running 11.2-U3.

garm

Wizard
I’m fairly sure you shouldn’t need and proabobly avoid assigning addresses to the bridges. It can also create issues having unstaffed and tagged traffic on the same interface. And why do you want FreeNAS to handle your routing?

Slugger

Cadet
So for vlan44, the bridge is assigned IP 192.168.44.99. The gateway I'm trying to set is 192.168.44.1, which is the router for the subnet. Similar for vlan88. I'm assigning the bridge an IP because that's how other hosts on the vlan are accessing the storage. So freenas isn't doing any routing itself. I'm using bridges because that's how I'm ensuring my jails are connected to the appropriate vlan as needed.