Brand New FreeNAS Mini - no NFS

DAXQ

Contributor
Just got a new FreeNAS mini and was trying to set up a NFS share (just like I had on the OLD mini). The Web interface lets me create the share, and start the NFS service but I cannot mount the share on a client. Not sure how to check and see if the NFS share is actually running in FreeNAS, the web interface seems to think it is - but when I run dmesg - I see nfsd: cant register svc name.

Any assistance with troubleshooting this issue is greatly appreciated:

FreeNAS Mini Hardware
FreeNAS-11.3-u3.2

#service nfsd status returns nfsd is running as pid 1822 1823
#service mount reload returns
mount does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup
directories (/etc/ix.rc.d /usr/local/etc/rc.d), or is not executable

Not really sure how to troubleshoot this, up to this point stuff has just worked.

Fredda

Guru
Could you post the /etc/exports file from your FreeNAS and the output of showmount -e <ip-of-FreeNAS> from your not working NFS client.

DAXQ

Contributor
From FreeNAS NFS server
#more /etc/exports
/mnt/CGHPool/datastore -alldirs -maproot="root":"wheel"

From Client:
Debian Linux Buster
No showmount utility

From another FreeNAS box (the old one)
# showmount -e 192.168.0.252
Exports list on 192.168.0.252:
/mnt/CGHPool/datastore Everyone

So the share is there, just cant mount it from Debian for some reason? Well there it is - had a bad IP address in the fstab on the Debian box - thanks for your assistance! helped me to find the issue - any idea why we get that cant register svc message? not that it matteres much if its working.

Fredda

Guru
From Client:
Debian Linux Buster
No showmount utility
It might not be the worst idea to install the nfs-common package if you plan on using nfs with this client.
any idea why we get that can't register svc message?
It's just an informative message. I get them too. As long as you don't use kerberos you can safely ignore these messages.
See here: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/11351

DAXQ

Contributor
Did install nfs-common, had to in order to get the mount part running. Apparently don't have my paths correct on the Debian computer - showmount is there, just had to find it and give the full path.

Thanks again for your quick response and help. Really appreciate it.
Have a great day!