Bought old PC from work

Status
Not open for further replies.

johan d

Cadet
Hello,

I was concidering buying a synlogy DS111 NAS. When browsing the internet i found out about FREENAS.

I have a spare computer at home with 2Gb RAM and a 500 Gb HD. Can i start/experiment with that pc to build a NAS, or is it too weak?

The NAS should be used to host mp3's for the squeezebox and photo's for displaying on TV through a mediaplayer.

Thx Johan

ProtoSD

MVP
Hello Johan, welcome to the FreeNAS 8 forums. If you haven't had a look already, you can find the FAQs, documentation and videos in the link below.

FAQS-Documentation-are-HERE

Your old pc at home should be fine to begin with if you only plan to use UFS and not ZFS. The problem you may find is that FreeNAS 8 doesn't currently support any 'official' media player. There are some links in the FAQ for installing Serviio and Mediatomb if you are comfortable working with FreeBSD from the command line. Otherwise I would suggest that you take a look at FreeNAS .7 which includes a lot of those types of features already. There is a link to the FreeNAS .7 forums in the titlebar at the top of this page. If you do decide to try version .7, you should post your questions there, otherwise everyone here will help you try to get the most from version 8.x. Next year with the realease of version 8.1 more of those features should be available with version 8.x if you decide you want to upgrade from .7 later.

Hope that helps!

johan d

Cadet
thx a lot, Johan;
i'll look for FreeNAS 7
If i use UFS (unix file system) will windows PC be able to acces the NAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.