Bored with Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooneyes

Dabbler
I don't understand why my transmissión is off and I can't put on. The same problem with every update of freenas!

I can't find any good solution, only re-install transmission, copy every dates and to pray, because if transmission switch off... then never more will be switch on.

Any solution??!

Thanks

joeschmuck

Old Man
You are running a very old version of FreeNAS, too bad you cannot upgrade as it may solve your issues, and I'm not going to tell you that you need to upgrade either.

But, you're thread title and posting do not match at all. Also you don't give any details of the problem other than it stops working. Maybe you could toss in some details.

Good luck.

mooneyes

Dabbler
Excuse me, my sign is wrong. I'm working with this

Compilación FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201505130355
Plataforma Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2020 @ 2.90GHz
Memoria 11944MB
Hora del Sistema Tue May 26 00:22:10 CEST 2015
Tiempo desde inicio 12:22AM up 2:58, 0 users
Carga Media 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

mooneyes

Dabbler
No, it's not the same problem

root@transmission_1:/ # service transmission onestart
usage: chown [-fhvx] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] owner[:group] file ...
chown [-fhvx] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] :group file ...
Starting transmission.
su: pam_start: system error
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission: WARNING: failed to start transmission
root@transmission_1:/ # rm /usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission
root@transmission_1:/ # ln -s /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/rc.d/transmission /usr/local/etc/rc.d
Starting transmission.
root@transmission_1:/ #

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
No, it's not the same problem

Starting transmission.
root@transmission_1:/ # rm /usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission
root@transmission_1:/ # ln -s /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/rc.d/transmission /usr/local/etc/rc.d
Starting transmission.
root@transmission_1:/ #
that pam error usually means your jail is broken. have you ever changed ownership/permissions of your jail/plugin dataset(s)?

mooneyes

Dabbler
that pam error usually means your jail is broken. have you ever changed ownership/permissions of your jail/plugin dataset(s)?
Yes, I change the permissions because I need to see the folder in windows share. But I tried not change the permissions and fail in the same way.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yes, I change the permissions because I need to see the folder in windows share. But I tried not change the permissions and fail in the same way.
So if you installed a second instance of transmission plugin, then try to start it you get the same error?

mooneyes

Dabbler
I've deleted transmission plugin and jail, updated my system and I've installed a new transmission plugin.

Now I can start/stop the plugin and I've shared download's folder but I can't explore it from my windows system because the system solicte user and password, but I've activated "invitated user" for my transmission. What's the problem?? I change the permission by this, but if I change permission folder then transmission will be broken.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I've deleted transmission plugin and jail, updated my system and I've installed a new transmission plugin.

Now I can start/stop the plugin and I've shared download's folder but I can't explore it from my windows system because the system solicte user and password, but I've activated "invitated user" for my transmission. What's the problem?? I change the permission by this, but if I change permission folder then transmission will be broken.
just to clarify, you need cifs and transmission to have write access to a directory?

I'm not an expert, or even active user of CIFS, but when I set it up for the same need before I force what user it runs operations as. The sharing section of the forum might have better experience with this.

heres everything related to giving transmission write permissions.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/

ovizii

Patron
This sounds more like he is sharing the complete jail and not only a folder which would explain things since setting a cifs share on top of a jail might mess things up.

mooneyes

Dabbler
This sounds more like he is sharing the complete jail and not only a folder which would explain things since setting a cifs share on top of a jail might mess things up.
No, I share only Downloaded folder

ovizii

Patron
Earlier you said:
That's what made me ask if you have tried sharing the jail dataset by any chance...

You mean you created a dataset that holds your downloads which you have shared and also mounted it as storage into your transmission jail?
This all is just normal and should not give you any problems.

Check out the link @Joshua Parker Ruehlig gave above:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/

mooneyes

Dabbler
until now, if I can to acces to my "download folder" into my transmission jail, I needed to change my permission in the jail. If I change the permissions then transmission fail, no switch on/off. And if I don't change the permission then I can't acces to download folder.

Attachments

• torrent1.jpg
    torrent1.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 185

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
until now, if I can to acces to my "download folder" into my transmission jail, I needed to change my permission in the jail. If I change the permissions then transmission fail, no switch on/off. And if I don't change the permission then I can't acces to download folder.
Don't ever change ownership / permissions of your jail / plugin datasets. That will, as you've experienced, break your jail. Only ever change permissions of datasets you mount into your jail.

You need to be a little creative to allow CIFS and transmission simultaneous write access to a dataset.
UNIX permissions allow for either..
  1. owner only writing
    • the users UID CIFS and transmission use need to match
  2. group wrinting
    • the users CIFS and transmission use need to be in to be in a group with the same GID, in their userland (jail for transmission)
  3. world writing
    • files need to written with the 666/777 permission level. I added this option for transmission in the transmission menu in the left panel of the freenas webui

mooneyes

Dabbler
In older versions of transmission we could change permissions of the jail and no broken.

I solved my problem now (I think) I've asociated an external storage to my jail, and works perfectly. I made another dataset named "TORRENT" and I've added another storage to my jail, I've changed permissions in the storage and works.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
In older versions of transmission we could change permissions of the jail and no broken.
That seems strange to me. Anytime you change your entire jail/plugin dataset's ownership/permissions things break. There are jail OS and application files that need specific ownership/permission to work. So even if it seemed to work, I bet a restart of those jails wouldn't work perfectly as the init system would fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.