Boot Volume Condition Online (Critical Error)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hus

Dabbler
Hi,

Since last week, I started getting critical error message in my FreeNAS. The error is "Boot Volume Condition: ONLINE One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected"

When checked using zpool status -v, below are the two files that is said to be corrupted. Initially it was just one file, but now it is two files. And I notice the corruption is in the boot usb drive which means my main data hard drives are fine I suppose. Can anyone advice what should I do. Is it possible to replace/restore these files.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
First off, whenever you want to attach images, upload them to the forum. Just drag and drop them or copy-paste them and everything will work fine. With that out of the way...

Backup the config file and reinstall FreeNAS to a new (pair of) device(s). If the config file is among the corrupted files, you might be able to find an older copy in the .system dataset, but we'll get to that later if needed.

Reactions: hus

hus

Dabbler
First off, whenever you want to attach images, upload them to the forum. Just drag and drop them or copy-paste them and everything will work fine. With that out of the way...

Backup the config file and reinstall FreeNAS to a new (pair of) device(s). If the config file is among the corrupted files, you might be able to find an older copy in the .system dataset, but we'll get to that later if needed.
Sorry for wrongly attaching the photo externally. It was my first post here so hope I get some leeway.
Now, the freenas error message shows me to restore those corrupted files in question (the 2 files). Can i get by restoring these two files only or a fresh new installation is still required?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
In practice, it's simpler, easier, faster and more reliable to just reinstall FreeNAS.

hus

Dabbler
In practice, it's simpler, easier, faster and more reliable to just reinstall FreeNAS.
So basically, I just use a new flash drive, install freenas like how I did first time around, login to web ui and restore my config. Will this keep all my data and jails in tact? Any cleaning or administration that I have to do?
Also, just as an alternative, should I try to roll back to a previous freenas version and reboot to check if the error is gone. Ex. Now im on 9.10.2-U1, so I set 9.10.2 as active and then reboot.

nojohnny101

Wizard

hus

Dabbler
Ok thats a g
Yes. You can reference this thread for more information about the few items that the config file doesn't seem to save:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/restoring-config-file-still-need-to-set.44292/
OK thats a good guide. Just one tiny question, when u created a new usb to install freenas fresh, did u physically unplug sata cables to the main data hard drives. Is there any possibly that during the new installation the data hard disk is formatted wrongly?

nojohnny101

Wizard
Don't touch the data drives. They are not affected by the process of reinstalling FreeNAS.

Make sure you read the appropriate section in the manual that covers this process in more detail.

hus

Dabbler
Don't touch the data drives. They are not affected by the process of reinstalling FreeNAS.

Make sure you read the appropriate section in the manual that covers this process in more detail.
Thank you for the tip. In addition, if lets say I want to go about your way or mirroring the boot drive usb. Will this be the right time in doing so?

nojohnny101

Wizard
Yes. It is easiest to mirror when you are starting fresh and not trying to add a mirror to an existing install. It can be done but if the size differs between the flash drives even slightly (meaning the manufacture is lying about the actual size of the drive, which happens more than you think) then FreeNAS can start complaining. I can't recall exactly but if you are trying to add another USB drive to create a mirror then it will refuse if the 2nd USB drive you are adding is either (smaller or bigger), again I can't remember which.

hus

Dabbler
Yes. It is easiest to mirror when you are starting fresh and not trying to add a mirror to an existing install. It can be done but if the size differs between the flash drives even slightly (meaning the manufacture is lying about the actual size of the drive, which happens more than you think) then FreeNAS can start complaining. I can't recall exactly but if you are trying to add another USB drive to create a mirror then it will refuse if the 2nd USB drive you are adding is either (smaller or bigger), again I can't remember which.
Ok, then ill probably stick to same brand and same size usb drives. Can you just advice on the right flow. Shall I put 2 usb together prior to boot, use CLI to mirror and install?
OR : Install on USB 1, go to web gui, and Attach 2nd disk under the setting below:
upload_2017-2-21_12-45-48.png

nojohnny101

Wizard
The manual has a step by step guide for this.

As I mentioned previously, I would not recommend trying to create a mirror from an existing install. As @Ericloewe mentioned, far easier to save your config file (from the GUI), then sin tall fresh to 2 USB drives (selecting them while you are installing fresh) then uploading your config file which will restore almost all of your settings.

hus

Dabbler
The manual has a step by step guide for this.

As I mentioned previously, I would not recommend trying to create a mirror from an existing install. As @Ericloewe mentioned, far easier to save your config file (from the GUI), then sin tall fresh to 2 USB drives (selecting them while you are installing fresh) then uploading your config file which will restore almost all of your settings.
Ok Thanks for the swift responses. I will try it out today. If I hit into any trouble will let you know. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.