Boot Memtest: banging head against wall

ppmax

Contributor
Hello--

Im trying to boot from a USB stick that I installed memtest onto. Here's what I've done several times without success:
Download pre-compiled bootable ISO
Use dd to copy ISO image to USB
Insert USB to Freenas box
Enter boot menu options; select USB device with memtest
Fail

Sorry if this is such a boneheaded question...but I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't boot memtest to run some tests! ;)

thx

pschatz100

Guru
YOu didn't give much information about what you actually did, but I suspect that if you do an internet search for "create boot disk for memtest", you will probably find much advice that will be helpful.

ppmax

Contributor
Lol, someone told me to download the image from memtest.org. I just tried the image at memtest86.com and it worked :rolleyes:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There are two competing versions of memtest. Both have pros and cons.

ppmax

Contributor
Well memtest86 booted on my system and quickly discovered one of my sticks is bad. I think this is the first time I've ever had RAM fail on me (granted, after ~8 years of use). For some reason I could never boot from the image at memtest.org...

Thanks again
PP

pschatz100

Guru
I keep a bootable flash drive with memtest on it, just in case I need to verify memory. I have never had a memory stick actually fail, but I did have a motherboard that became flakey - one of the memory slots failed and was causing errors that were difficult to track down.

Glad you solved your issue.