board recommendations for registered RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

odoyle

Explorer
I have some leftover registered RAM from another system and I'd like to use to build a NAS. I'm having trouble trying to find an inexpensive motherboard that supports it. I have two of these (forget the manufacturer and don't have it in front of me.. I think it is Crucial):

8GB DDR3-1600 ECC Registered 2R DIMMs) Operating at 1600 MT/s

I tried to look through the supermicro site, but I can't browse by unbuffered vs buffered. Ideally, I'd want something like the supermicro X9SC so I could pick up an inexpensive core i3. It looks like the supermicro X8SIL would work.. but could I find a cheap CPU for that?

Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Registered and 'inexpensive' are pretty much exclusive of each other. Only the expensive boards and expensive processors support registered since registered is only preferred for high density. You are also instantly talking Xeons. ;)

odoyle

Explorer
Ok, so say that I eliminate "inexpensive" from my requirements.. what are good boards that can handle registered RAM?
Thanks!

jgreco

Resident Grinch

Indeed some i3's and i5's will work with the X8SIL but those processors do not support registered memory, so this fails to address the OP's question.

odoyle

Explorer
Oh ok, is there a way to figure out which CPUs support registered RAM?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yes, check out the Intel ARK. Basically no consumer CPU's or low end Xeons support it. I just saved you half an hour of time. :smile:

odoyle

Explorer
Cool, I was checking that out, but am I just searching by this:
ECC Memory Supported ‡
Because that doesn't seem to differentiate between unbuffered & buffered ECC, unless I am missing something. When I search with ECC "yes", I still get a bunch of i3 and i5 results.

http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced?s=t&ECCMemory=true

Thanks for the help!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
ECC is NOT the same as buffered... ;)

odoyle

Explorer
I understand... but how do I search ARK for buffered compatible CPU? That is my question, all I can see is "ECC Memory" not "registered" or "buffered"

mjws00

Guru
I don't think you can. The spec isn't listed on the ARK that I could see. Just memory max dependant on type (no type details) and of course ecc. Search box returns no results as well. If there is somewhere I missed, awesome... and where?

If you hit the server motherboards on newegg.com. You can filter for registered memory. From there you'll have an idea or two where to look.

Good Luck,

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I don't think you can. The spec isn't listed on the ARK that I could see.

The specs are certainly there, but you have to individually go into each processor and then pull up the relevant datasheets. That's why I summarized the results for him and said I just saved him a half an hour of time.

mjws00

Guru
Yeah, I ended up on the datasheets eventually. Would have been nice for Intel to let the spec show up in a search. Even 'rdimm' returns little. Normally my Google foo is pretty strong.

Think I spent more than a half hour trying to figure out why I was a dumbass using ARK. ;)

odoyle

Explorer
Wow, thanks guys! I never would have figured that out. So what are "low end Xeons"?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Wow, thanks guys! I never would have figured that out. So what are "low end Xeons"?

The current low end are the E3's. The E5's can go either way. The UDIMM's are essentially lower density parts that in theory cost less. Those of us who want larger memory Xeon platforms (say for example, for an ESXi host) typically find that the best price point is something like the 16GB registered DIMM's because many applications for E5 require "as much memory as practical" so some chumps out there will always be upgrading to 32GB or 64GB modules, so 16's are actually very cost effective and 8's are frequently "available for free/PLEASE take them."

Status
Not open for further replies.