board doesnt detect usb boot device

Status
Not open for further replies.

meeks

Dabbler
Hi, i have a board Supermicro X9SCM-F with a intel Xeon E31225 and i'm tring to boot freenas trough a usb stick but the bios just doesnt detect the device.
When i go to the bios to check boot priority i only have one option like shown in the image 1.

I've tried using IPMI virtual media then virtual storage and then choose the iso but when the server reboots it loops like in image 2.

Pressing f11 just shows the same only option as in image 1.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 477
  • 2.png
    2.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 611

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
  1. Have you verified that the USB stick is detected on another machine?
  2. Does your SuperMicro need a BIOS update?
  3. Are you using a USB 3.0 stick? If so, try plugging it into a different USB Port
  4. Some machines require that the system is powered off; then on to properly detect USB sticks

meeks

Dabbler
1. Yes tried 3 different usb sticks all worked on another computer.
2. Don't know, but if it needs how do i do it because i don't have any OS installed on it and it doesn't detect usb so i can update the bios.
3. No, just usb 2.0
4. Tried that also but still didn't worked.

Mirfster

I agree that it is likely a setting in the bios that is off. I would first try and do a reset to safe defaults and see what happens. If it fixes the boot problem great, otherwise get an optical drive hook it up and make an iso with FreeDOS and put the firmware upgrade files on it and upgrade that way. Could also probably do the same with a HDD though it's going to be a big waste of space and harder if you don't get something correct since you will have the pull the drive and put it in another computer to try again.

Otherwise if there are still problems after getting an update made and all settings reset pull the battery for a while and see if that clears out an errant setting. Maybe go so far as to actually install an OS from a disc to a HDD and see if the USB is even working correctly. Don't know where you got the board but if it was used there could be a reason why they sold it but didn't disclose and manufacturer's are not infallible sometimes things make it through QC or damage could have happened in transit or due to handling of the board. And HOPEFULLY you are using ram that is on the QVL for the board rather than just some random stuff you picked, it's not likely but it could cause issues that would allow it to get into the setup screens but break a lot of other stuff.

meeks

Dabbler
I tried doing a bios reset by clearing the CMOS but now it asks me for a bios password that i don't know which is it. I took out the battery over night to see if it resets the password but it still asks for the password.

Mirfster

I tried doing a bios reset by clearing the CMOS but now it asks me for a bios password that i don't know which is it. I took out the battery over night to see if it resets the password but it still asks for the password.
Don't think that was what was intended.. In the BIOS itself there should have been an option to "Reset to defaults" or similar. Time for you to find and read the manual on this motherboard. It should provide instructions on clearing passwords (maybe a jumper) as well as configurations.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I have this board in my FreeNAS server. From day one, in order to successfully install
FreeNAS on to any device, I've had to place the thumb drive with the ISO into the
ONBOARD typeA USB port! If loading the instance on to another thumb drive, place that
one into one of the rear facing USB ports. Once installation is complete and you shut
down, pull the ISO drive out and plug in the boot drive in it's place. Don't forget to
re-enter the bios and check the boot order. IIRC the boot device now in the type A slot
of the motherboard, should be at the top o the list (it's been a long time ago so I may
not remember correctly regarding that last part)

meeks

Dabbler
I would try that but the problem now is that after i clear the CMOS every time i boot it asks me for a password that i don't know what is.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Get BIOS files here.
The download is directly from the Supermicro website
and contains readme along with the ROM files.
bios-download-screenie.jpg
The only way I know to get rid of a BIOS password,
is to reflash the BIOS, then reset the BIOS to default.
Tech support at SuperMicro should be able to confirm this.

meeks

Dabbler
But to reflash the bios i need the files on a usb stick right?
But how do i access the files in the usb if i cant choose my boot device?

meeks

Dabbler
I've read all the manual and it does't say anything about a password jumper. The manual is linked above if you want to give a look.

DJ9

Contributor
Try page 2-32 and use jumper JBT1 to clear the CMOS. That should fix the password issue for you.

meeks

Dabbler
Also done that , its not a jumper its two pads that you have to connect together using some metal object , unless i'm doing wrong and I've done it about 5 times it doesn't work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.