Bluefin NFS can't create more than one NFS share and some apps can't connect

RavenNAS

Dabbler
Hey all,

Like many after the recent update to 22.12.1, I have been changing over apps to use NFS inside of my SMB share.

Firstly, for some reason if I try to follow the guides and make multiple NFS shares for each folder that I need, it wont work. it seems like I can only create one NFS share per dataset, no matter the directory. So I created one back a file and set each app into its place. (see the jellyfin example)

Second, even though I got it to work for other apps like Jellyfin, I can't get qBittorrent to save to the directory, it will "error" with no data saved.

any ideas?
Thanks

Attachments

• new nfs wont save.jpg
    new nfs wont save.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 174
  • qbit NFS not working.jpg
    qbit NFS not working.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 157
  • jellyfin NFS working.jpg
    jellyfin NFS working.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 152
  • sharing.jpg
    sharing.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 154

FrostyCat

Explorer
Can confirm, cannot add a second NFS share on the same dataset even if it's not part of the same subtree.

If my dataset is for example documents, it seems I cannot share these 2 folders separately:
  • /mnt/data/documents/folder1
  • /mnt/data/documents/folder2
Bug?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
No. This is how NFS works. One "share" per filesystem.

But your clients can easily mount at multiple points of that filesystem if you just share the root of it out.

On the other hand... if you want to keep your apps from having access to the same data for some reason... 2 child datasets would be fine.

• /mnt/data/documents/dataset1
  • /mnt/data/documents/dataset2
for example.

RavenNAS

Dabbler
On the other hand... if you want to keep your apps from having access to the same data for some reason... 2 child datasets would be fine.

okay that makes sense, I was following this truecharts guide (Link) and they didn't seemnto mention child datasets, looking at the screenshots it looks as easy as adding more NFS shares.

Great, so thats one issue down and one to go, if anyone has an idea for why qBit cant access the share aswell.

Could it be that maybe another app has the entire share locked and I really should just use child datasets?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
okay that makes sense, I was following this truecharts guide (Link) and they didn't seemnto mention child datasets, looking at the screenshots it looks as easy as adding more NFS shares.
I'm not sure that's fully clear for you.

A single NFS share at /mnt/data/documents/ can allow different apps to connect to the different paths within it... assuming the share specifies "all dirs" (which is an option in CORE, but I can't see it in SCALE, so would hope it's on by default).

That share can't allow the crossing of filesystem boundaries though, so you want to have subdirectories, not child datasets to make it work like that.

FrostyCat

Explorer
No. This is how NFS works. One "share" per filesystem.

But your clients can easily mount at multiple points of that filesystem if you just share the root of it out.

for example.
No, I don't think that's how NFS works and I can prove it. It's probably a a bug or a limitation of how Truenas implements NFS, not NFS itself.

Let's say I have a location with a folder structure like this:

/mnt/data/nvr <- dataset
/mnt/data/nvr/today <- folder (not dataset)
/mnt/data/nvr/month <- folder
/mnt/data/nvr/archives <- folder

Let's say I only want to share today and month and not the whole nvr dataset.

The UI doesn't let me do that, but I can do it by hand very easily (I could even share in-tree if I pass no_subtree_check if I wanted to, which the UI doesn't seem to support).

/etc/exports
Code:
"/mnt/data/nvr/today"\
        127.0.0.1(sec=sys,rw,subtree_check)
"/mnt/data/nvr/month"\
        127.0.0.1(sec=sys,rw,subtree_check)

Mounts
Code:
localhost:/mnt/data/nvr/today on /root/today type nfs4 (rw,relatime,vers=4.2,... snip ...)
localhost:/mnt/data/nvr/month on /root/month type nfs4 (rw,relatime,vers=4.2,... snip ....)

All checks out:
Code:
root@nas ~ # ls -l /root/today
total 1
-rwxrwx--- 1 root root 0 Mar  8 18:45 file1
root@nas ~ # ls -l /root/month
total 1
-rwxrwx--- 1 root root 0 Mar  8 18:45 file-month

sretalla