Blu-ray passthrough to VM?

zynjec

Cadet
Is it possible to passthrough the SCSI device itself to a VM with the latest SCALE? Or is this a fools errand?

Code:
# lsscsi
[0:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  ASUS     BW-16D1HT        3.10  /dev/sr0

Creating a virtio-scsi controller and passing it through doesn't seem to work, in fact, it seems to remove the sections when the VM starts up.

Arwen

MVP
You are probably best served by using a dedicated USB controller, and passing that through to the VM. Then, the VM sees all devices, (including your Blu-ray drive), on that USB controller.

Some people have to solve this by using a PCIe USB controller, because their built in USB is shared in some way.

N20Visuals

Dabbler
i tried to do the same, but didn't get the passthrough to work on device-level.

my workaround was a 10€ 4-port SATA pcie card which i could pass through to my windows 10 vm. i did test this with a LSI HBA, but that resulted in errors when trying to reboot the vm or install updates (requiring reboots)

Conker

Cadet
works well with sata pcie Card and with usb pcie Cards.
passtrough both here right now

zynjec

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it! Looks like I might have to go that route for now.

From what I can tell, it's a by-product of the kernel not having virtio-scsi support, on just a bare metal machine and UNRAID it seems to work as expected (as it supports it)

N20Visuals

Dabbler
Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it! Looks like I might have to go that route for now.

From what I can tell, it's a by-product of the kernel not having virtio-scsi support, on just a bare metal machine and UNRAID it seems to work as expected (as it supports it)

that might be the reason, but i'm not so sure about that. passthrough is possible for almost any kind of devices, i also use virt-io drivers for my NIC (win10 guest) and that is working flawlessly.
i think, and that is just a wild guess, that the hypervisor (KVM) built in to scale does not have the possibility to pass through on device level, at least that's what i could find out while researching this topic.

zynjec

Cadet
that might be the reason, but i'm not so sure about that. passthrough is possible for almost any kind of devices, i also use virt-io drivers for my NIC (win10 guest) and that is working flawlessly.
i think, and that is just a wild guess, that the hypervisor (KVM) built in to scale does not have the possibility to pass through on device level, at least that's what i could find out while researching this topic.
Nope, it truly is possible.

Got it working on bare linux, and UNRAID. Worked well enough to actually flash the firmware with LibreDisc, I was impressed.

zynjec

Cadet
Replacing the scsi device number with the scsi ID returned in lsscsi, using this:

<controller type='scsi' index='0' model='virtio-scsi'/>
<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='scsi'>
<source>
<adapter name='scsi_host2'/>
<address type='scsi' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
</source>
<readonly/>
<address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
</hostdev>