SOLVED BIOS clock and Freenas Clock out of Sync--NTP issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAurelian

Cadet
I'm running the latest version of Freenas, 9.1...

Server was inaccessible this morning...can't access GUI.

When I reboot freenas it boots fine, except that it continually states that it can't find hostname server for both freenas NTP servers, 0 and 1. I notice that my freenas clock is reading PST (should be EST--got this info from running "date" in cmd line) and that this time is 8 hours different than the UTC time on my BIOS clock. When I change the BIOS clock to reflect the correct PST time (cause I don't know what the heck I'm doing in the command line) just to see if I can get the freenas clock to sync with the NTP clock (thinking this is a freenas clock/NTP clock sync issue..?) it just returns the same "unable to find hostname server..pool.ntp.org..." So, I'm thinking maybe its just not finding the NTP server because it's not connected to the internet (I would check for this through the cmd line, but it takes way too long to research the exact commands on the internet...), but I don't know a quick and easy way to check for internet connectivity---maybe some ping cmd in the shell---

--Don't know why this happened all of a sudden---
--Saw this thread: http://forums.freenas.org/threads/bios-time-vs-system-time.14563/
But,

The final resolution seemed to be manually setting the time for Freenas...I don't want to do this...I just want Freenas to interpret the right time from BIOS and then sync with NTP (if indeed that is how it works)

Frustrated because if I knew more cmds , I could easily troubleshoot this stuff, but google searching for cmd lines is sucking too much of my life down the drain---That's why I'm finally posting my problem here!!! :)

All this time, I can't access freenas through GUI---

gpsguy

When you configured your NIC, did you add a default gateway (usually your router's address) and entries for DNS servers?

As you said, you could do a ping from the shell/console.

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx [default gateway on your network]

ping google.com

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you are getting the hostname errors then you have bigger problems like what gpsguy is explaining. Fix those and your time will probably automagically fix itself.

MAurelian

Cadet
I pinged my default gateway---192.168.1.1--from the console and just received the following message iterated over and over--(couldn't stop it): "Send to: Host is down."

YET, I can access my router just fine from any other device----

OK, I OVERLOOKED ONE HUGE THING----My freenas server is connected via a wifi access point/extender---I never simply restarted the extender in an attempt to restore network connectivity. I've never had to do this before and I don't know what happened to render the connection unstable, but troubleshooting 101 should have led me to restart the extender FIRST!!

But, in the end, my strategy worked: I shared my problem with the Freenas community and found a solution! :)

Thank you for your assistance.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Woohoo!

But.. /vomit for wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.