big error ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

denut

Dabbler
hello

i have try to add 2 hard drive as cache but i made a error and add it as mirror, extension of my pool

is there a way to remove it ??

tank's

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Ok great!
Just curious, but are you certain you need cache. Usually cache
only benefits production servers under heavy use. For the home/
small office, performance increases are most often achieved by
adding RAM first. We see this mistake made because people have
drives laying around and don't wish to spend money on memory
sticks. General recommendation is to max RAM first.

denut

Dabbler
yes tested with an without cache

and

with emby video server the difference is just enormous

and i need log cache too because owncloud server work 10 time faster for small files write

denut

Dabbler
for more information

my configuration is a esx server with visualized freenas (os) with LSI sas 9211-8i 6 Gbits/s 8 ports and Supermicro BPN-SAS-836EL1 16 Hotswap SAS/SATA 3Gb/s Backplane

the LSI card is setting with pass through to manage directly the drives like a non visualized freenas

1: the second benefit to have cache is at, esx power off you can pause the vm and you don't lost the cache (i see the cache restart a new after freenas reboot) ram must be populated each boot

2: i have other virtual machines and with esx i don't need to reboot all when freenas updates (before i was using virtualbox in freenas but after the 9.10.1 u1 problem solved in u2 i change)
(virtualbox freenas is outdated......)

3: if i need to change a drive i need only stop freenas and shutdown my backplane (my drives are no hotswap) and not the complete server

gpsguy

BigDave probably wouldn't have asked the question, had you told us up front that you were running FreeNAS in a virtualized environment.

If you ask questions in the future, please post the configuration info in your opening post. FreeNAS can be virtualized, but it's often done incorrectly (HBA in IR/not IT mode, not using passthrough, etc.).

my configuration is a esx server with visualized freenas (os)...

Status
Not open for further replies.