bhyve bootorder - pxe boot

HugoMcKinley

Cadet
Hi,

(how) is it possible to set the bootorder of a bhyve vm?

Short info: I want to use MaaS to deploy many VMs. MaaS deploys via PXE boot.
Everything works like a charme, but if an OS is on the VM bhyve doesn't boot any longer with PXE because of the "wrong" bootorder (HDD, PXE).
rEFInd is no solution, because the deployment of MaaS deletes all partitions on the disk.

Is there a possibility to change the zone-config of bhyve to set the bootorder to PXE, HDD? Or any other solution?

Thanks,
Hugo

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Bhyve does not have support of permanently recorded boot settings. As far as I know you can specify the boot order on the command line but there is no support for that in TrueNAS middleware and UI.

HugoMcKinley

Cadet
Thx for the Info. But I didn't find any hints, how this is done. Do you you have some links for me?
I'm a bhyve noob :-(

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
It cannot be done on TrueNAS. That was my point. If you start bhyve from the command line on a plain FreeBSD system the cbsd tool can perform a PXE boot and unattended install of guest OSes.

HugoMcKinley

Cadet
Ah, that clarifies it. Not good for me :-(
Thank you.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
How about wiping the virtual disks before booting into PXE each time. That can easily be scripted. They are accessible from the NAS host system. Or you destroy and recreate the Zvols each time. Also from a script, no big deal.