Best way to Upgrade....

Status
Not open for further replies.

david31262

Dabbler
I'm a new freenas user (I was waiting for multi-LUN SATA for my Sans Digital towers). I'm currently running the 8 release. I'm pretty happy. I did post a couple of issues in the bug forum (which I've been able to work around).

What's the best way to upgrade to the new releases?
1) Use the GUI upgrade ?
2) Stow away the original USB flash stick and reinstall to a new one (reload configuration).
3) Stow away the original USB flash stick and reinstall to a new one (don't reload config, import the existing zpool).

I don't mind manually setting up the system if that's a better (safer) route. Dealing with Windows has made be a believer in "Clean Install".

If it matters, I have 12 2tb hard drives in single Z1 ZPool. 4 Drives are on the Motherboard and there are 2 4 Drive Sans Digital Towers on a PCI based Silicon Image 3132 controller. 20tb storage -> it's so cool !!!

Thanks

B

Bohs Hansen

I've updated to the 2 beta's from the GUI starting at 8 release, no problem. One thing I've read though, is that all manual changes are lost in upgrades as it is now, only GUI made settings are converted.
I aint fully sure on the last, but if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will point it out quickly :)

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
I'm a new freenas user (I was waiting for multi-LUN SATA for my Sans Digital towers). I'm currently running the 8 release. I'm pretty happy. I did post a couple of issues in the bug forum (which I've been able to work around).

What's the best way to upgrade to the new releases?
1) Use the GUI upgrade ?
2) Stow away the original USB flash stick and reinstall to a new one (reload configuration).
3) Stow away the original USB flash stick and reinstall to a new one (don't reload config, import the existing zpool).

I don't mind manually setting up the system if that's a better (safer) route. Dealing with Windows has made be a believer in "Clean Install".

If it matters, I have 12 2tb hard drives in single Z1 ZPool. 4 Drives are on the Motherboard and there are 2 4 Drive Sans Digital Towers on a PCI based Silicon Image 3132 controller. 20tb storage -> it's so cool !!!

Thanks

Do not install a stock version and upload a config from a previous release, it will NOT work until BETA3.
Use GUI.

david31262

Dabbler
Thanks for the warning on reloading a prior configuration.

Is there any reason to backup the flash stick before doing the GUI upgrade? Is that a "dd" command ?

Brand

I have 12 2tb hard drives in single Z1 ZPool. 4 Drives are on the Motherboard and there are 2 4 Drive Sans Digital Towers on a PCI based Silicon Image 3132 controller. 20tb storage

Your much braver with your data than I am. For that I would use nothing less than a RAIDz2.

Status
Not open for further replies.