best way to implement old sas raid cards/hdds

Status
Not open for further replies.

meg4max1

Cadet
Hi,
i just installed FreeNAS and I really like it so far. I have already read that raid cards without a jbod/it mode shouldn't be used cause they make the array unstable. my hardware is a fujitsu primergy tx150 s7 that i got from my uncle for free. I also bought a couple of 3tb wd reds I use in a mirrored (raid 1 i guess) config as my main, safer storage directly attached to the motherboard.
I have two sas raid cards:
1x fujitsu D2616-a12 gs 4
1x fujitsu D2516-D11 gs 1
and these drives:
3x146gb sas
2x300gb sas
that I'd like to use for unimportant data (like ripped cd movies,...) What would be the best way to put them to use in my server?(if there is a good way, that is)
thanks in advance

max

ps: please dont be too harsh about my english/expression, as im 15 and my main language is german

Last edited by a moderator:

meg4max1

Cadet
my other specs are:
intel xeon x3450 4x2.67ghz w/ hyperthreading
12gb ecc ram
6 motherboard sata ports
all pci slots free to use
4-drive sas backplane

wblock

Documentation Engineer
It's not that they make the array unstable, it's that they prevent ZFS from accessing the drives directly. ZFS is essentially a really fancy hardware RAID built out of the computer itself. Putting a lesser hardware RAID between that and the drives prevents ZFS from doing everything it is built to do.

meg4max1

Cadet
so would it be ok to put them all into seperate raid0 pools and assign the actual raid in freenas, or should i use the lsi bios (i think it was called webbios or something) to assign my raid and just put the logical drive resulting from that into a single, one-drive stripe? which of those options would archieve a more stable raid?

meg4max1

Cadet
ok, now i found out somethin rather interesting: the d2616 raid card is based on the LSI SAS 2108 card that supports jbod mode.is is possible to just flash it with the lsi's firmware?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The SAS2108 isn't suitable. You need one of the following:
  • SAS2008
  • SAS2308
  • SAS3008
  • SAS3108 (using mrsas)
  • whatever the 16-port SAS2 model is
  • whatever the 24-port SAS3 model is

Status
Not open for further replies.