Best GPU for Hardware Acceleration on TrueNAS Scale

Ralphshep

Dabbler
Hello,

I have Jellyfin, 4 TV channels rendering through ErsatzTV, and a Minecraft Server (Crafty Controller) all running as apps on TrueNAS Scale. All media is 1080p or lower at the moment and the TV stations are broadcasting at 720p however I would like to increase it back to 1080p, and all media is encoded in either h.264 or h.265.

For starters, I was wondering if and how helpful it would be to offload all media transcoding, decoding, and graphical work to a GPU and take the pressure off the CPU. And, if this is a solid solution, what GPU would you recommend that is supported by TrueNAS Scale and can be passed into the three apps listed above and enabled with hardware acceleration? I would prefer a cheaper solution even something that is widely available from the used market will do.

Thanks!

johey

Cadet
I am also interested in this topic as I have a similar situation (though I have some 4K UHD material too that I want to transcode).

sfatula

Guru
An alternative method is to use client software that doesn't require transcoding. My content never needs transcoding as the software I use for playback on the various platforms I use can play any format without transcoding. Saves money, hassle, time, etc. Ymmv