Best 4 Port HBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brando56894

Wizard
I need a PCI-E 4x port SFF-8087 to SATA card. I previously had a IBM m1015 but it died and I need two more ports (8 more SATA connectors). I'm not trying to spend over a few hundred. Would it just be better off to buy 2 m1015s?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
LSI/Broadcom/Avago has a bunch of HBAs with more than eight lanes now, but they're probably more expensive than either two eight-lane HBAs or one plus an expander.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
but they're probably more expensive than either two eight-lane HBAs or one plus an expander.
I guess I could have given more detail... Here is the example card I was looking at:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/9201-16i-H...Express-2-0-SAS-6Gbps-for-Server/192044684746
It has 16 internal ports but it is $157 plus shipping.
If you get a regular SAS controller (I like the Dell H310, but you get the one you like) and put it in IT mode; then add the expander I linked earlier, it would probably be less expensive. The difference won't be much, $50 or $60, but I would go with the expander. Now, this particular expander needs a slot for power, but if you don't want to sacrifice a slot to it, you could use something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB3-0-PCI...r-Card-Adapter-6pin-Cable-Lot-F5/292194487976
All you need out of that is the slot and the power cord. The data cable is not needed because all the data is passed through the SAS cables and the slot is just for power.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I already have 16 of my PCI-E lanes fully utilized by my GTX 1070.
So, this isn't for a FreeNAS server?
The SAS expander doesn't use an PCIe lanes, it just uses the slot for power.
I don't mind spending a little extra if it's brand new.
I would like to say, sure it will work, but if it isn't for FreeNAS, I don't know. If it was for FreeNAS, at the worst, you get one that has been sitting around and needs a firmware update.

Status
Not open for further replies.