Be careful not to select an older version after updating to 11.3

thepixelgeek

Patron

vafk

Contributor
If a "FreeNAS Wizard" comments with *plonk* (whatever this means) it makes the appearance as if he/she delivered a something productive. But no, it is just a simple s**it helping him him/her being raised from rank 10749 to 10750.

Don't forget, this was a humble post of a newbie with a rank of 81 not asking YOU for delivere *plonk* but to warn other users not to do the same mistake as I did. No matter how much you will point at me how stupid I was not reading that "upgrade" actually means "downgrade", the fact that you with 11.2 could not have made this experience about what we were talking (now you quickly changed your signature to 11.3 - why don't you at least say "thank you...") is OK but why you wasted my entire evening without knowing what I went through, it all will not make you a better person because you delivered ZERO to help me or others to solve the problem. I am the small and I will grow and you are the big and your head is already smashed against the ceiling because you can't grow bigger. Perhaps you are not even vicious, not even miserable, maybe you are not even alive, just a chat bot or something to make this website fancy.

Last edited:

vafk

Contributor
Now for something completely different :smile:

My both FreeNAS are running well with 11.3 (even my Pi-Hole running in VM), the HP Microserver G8 still asking for feeding him with the 4 updates/downgrade (how the hell we get rid f this) and me telling him (yes his name is James), no I won't give you this, you have to wait for the boys to fix the boo...

vafk

Contributor
@thepixelgeek Me and you that makes two...

From Wikipedia:
Plonk is a Usenet jargon term for adding a particular poster to one's kill file so that poster's future postings are completely ignored. It was first used in 1989, and by 1994 was a commonly used term on Usenet. To publicly repudiate a poster, it is added to one's reply or is simply used as the entire, one-word reply. It may also be used as a verb. The word is an example of onomatopoeia, intended to represent the metaphorical sound of the plonked user hitting the bottom of the kill file.

I now have to figure out how I can plonk @danb35 from messing in my post since he only stole my time with repeating what @Patrick M. Hausen said, which indeed I did not ask for, because the post purpose was to warn users not to upgrade. Which @danb35 cannot deny since at the time of my warning according to his signature he was using 11.2 so actually had no practical clue about what I was saying.

jlw52761

Explorer
11.3 running perfectly smooth on 4 systems that I personally manage. And why would one boot from an install image to upgrade instead of just using the UI?

I did have a little oddity with the GUI and the upgrade, but I hit the install button and went away for about an hour. It finally started to download and install, very slowly though. I don't see the "upgrade" t the 11.2 train now though, so odd that others are seeing this.

vafk

Contributor
@jlw52761
The odd is that I installed the same way (ISO with rufus from USB boot stick then upgrade-option) on N54L which does not offer the upgrade from 11.3 to 11.2 (which itself is funny because it is downgrade and downgrades never appear in update) but on the microserver gen8 this option is available. This tells me that the bug could have to do with the hardware.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
My both FreeNAS are running well with 11.3 (even my Pi-Hole running in VM), the HP Microserver G8 still asking for feeding him with the 4 updates/downgrade (how the hell we get rid f this) and me telling him (yes his name is James), no I won't give you this, you have to wait for the boys to fix the boo...
How many more times do I need to tell you how to get rid of the bogus update message?
Use midclt call update.set_train FreeNAS-11.3-STABLE already, and the problem will be fixed. I posted that twice before, because I was trying to help.

Patrick

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Don't forget, this was a humble post of a newbie with a rank of 81 not asking YOU for delivere *plonk* but to warn other users not to do the same mistake as I did.
No. it wasn't. This was a hyperbolioc tantrum with way too many exclamation marks and way too large red typeface warning others of the completely wrong thing. The Update to 11.3 won't (in the general case) crash your installation. Applying a bogus update with a *lower* version number afterwards does.

If you could start behaving like an adult and express yourself in an adequate manner, I'm confident no more sneering remarks or "plonks" are going to happen.

You could at least edit the thread's subject and add the "SOLVED" tag, so others will look for the solution to the problem which is at least 4 times in this thread now, 3 of which posted by me.

Patrick

vafk

Contributor
@Patrick M. Hausen
I applied "midclt call update.set_train FreeNAS-11.3-STABLE" (in console, guess this is right?) and it tells me invalid train name. Any ideas?
Screenshot - 15_02.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Where did I write "BETA"?

vafk

Contributor
My mistake, no idea how the "beta" went there. Now with the correct command "midclt call update.set_train FreeNAS-11.3-STABLE" the wrong downgrade disappeared.

What is now the correct procedure to let the programmers know about this bug so they update the instructions on their website

with your solution and new users don't get hit?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Warning issued OP. Please refrain from flaming and personal insults with other users and spreading FUD in the community. Further infractions will lead to removal. Thanks!