Be careful not to select an older version after updating to 11.3

vafk

Contributor

And for those who did do NOT install the 11.3-RC2 Update as suggested here:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
11.3 running perfectly smooth on 4 systems that I personally manage. And why would one boot from an install image to upgrade instead of just using the UI?

vafk

Contributor
Either you don't understand or don't get my point. It is not relevant, how you install 11.3 because once you run it and get the following upgrade offered to install (see image) you will get screwed
Screenshot - 14_02.png

There are more users sitting for a week with this problem

so perhaps you care to help them with how you got your 4 systems work and avoided to be hit by this (for me NOT a Valentine) joke.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Not currently the case for me...
1581714941099.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

vafk

Contributor
Allow me one more question, since you have 4 units maganed by your own. So you went to the GUI on each engine and selected from the update menu to upgrade to 11.3? Am I reading you well?

If so, there where I work, we are told whenever it is possible, to download the ISO once and use it as often we need. This is also described in the official FreeNAS tutorial https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/install.html where it clearly says "2. Installing and Upgrading".

Reminds me of instaling BIOS on computers. Of course one can move mouse and click from Windows but if shitstorm hits you the boss will ask, did you forget about booting the PC from DOS and using BIOS upgrade the safest way?

vafk

Contributor
You don't get my point. One of my many FreeNAS also shows the same picture you took
Screenshot - 14_02 002.png

But that obviously is not the point and we are not discussing "smooth" but buggy installations. Under certain circumstances users who installed 11.3 are offered a 11.3-RC2 release which for a not yet understood reason installs back to 11.2 and then fails to boot.

There may be a thousand users effected and it is no help to them if one million says I don't have this problem and 1 billion says I don't have the problem because I never heard of FreeNAS. It is like the same if thousands are drowning in the Mediterranean and a guy responds, I also got drowned in Ballermann.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The docs say either method can be used. I upgraded all systems via UI as I always do. Boot environments are the best thing since sliced bread, We use them on stock FreeBSD and FreeNAS does the same for you automatically.

Your system got hosed when after the update to 11.3 you clicked for another "update" from 11.3 to 11.2-U7 ... did I get this correctly? Why did you do that? The version numbers are so obviously bogus. I got the same offer from the UI on one system, but checked the forum first, since it was obvious something was wrong.

So, everyone, it is for most installations perfectly safe to update to 11.3. There is currently no newer version than 11.3-RELEASE. So do not apply any other updates afterwards.

HTH,
Patrick

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
because once you run it and get the following upgrade offered to install (see image) you will get screwed
So why would you even attempt installing it if you know there's something that's not right?

vafk

Contributor
You placed the one million dollar question: Because I did not know that there was something not right! After I found that there was something not right (I told my wife, darling, I am going to make a quick update and after 2 hours she said its Valentine), I posted this warning.

And all I got is a guy who says I don't have a problem and another you who says why would you do something where you know you will get into trouble.

Honestly, I know now, that if I try to install a update from ixsystems, I may get into trouble and if I get into trouble and that always cost me a night than I definitely will get intro trouble with my wife. Not the night I spend on the computer fixing the shit but in the day after I look like shit and get a lot of arguments that I should survive to meet my grandchildren.

BTW: can anyone explain why when I write говно I get "***" (stars) instead? When Donalds tweets говно its comes as говно and not as stars and stripes!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You should read the update versions and apply common sense before clicking on install. Simple as that. The UI tells you what it will do and an update from 11.3 to 11.2-U7 does not make sense at all. And why would there be an update in the first place when you know 11.3 is the latest hot shit?

And I admit that this bug is bad. I just think that your wording ist not entirely justified and also not correct. It is not the update to 11.3 that breaks systems but applying another bogus update after that. Your thread with too many exclamation marks creates way too much hyperbole.

Kind regards,
Patrick

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
BTW: can anyone explain why when I write redacted I get "***" (stars) instead?
Because this is a family friendly site where cursing isn't allowed, even in your native language.

Last edited:

vafk

Contributor
Hahaha. Family friendly site, hosted in USA. Since Donald became the boss, (T)HIS wording became FAMILY FRIENDLY and cursing is far from forbidden.

Back to the problem: no one word mentions on the website of the FreeNAS makers one single problem. So WTF should a user browse forums and get misleaded by some bogus posts that FreeNAS is not good as this and that? No, a user downloads the ISO, installs it, goes to the GUI section update (this is from where Patrick M. Hausen does his updates) and downloads the latest update. And he/she gets screwed at the point like me and others (see forum).

Then being stuck in the problem when he/she reports the problem, gets the answer a) I don't have the problem, b) use GUI, c) use QNAP, d) why would you do this?....

These all answers do not contain one single fragment of solution of the problem? My status is newbie but next if I jump on every reported bug with the answer "use Google", "I am OK", "sign for professional services", I quickly become a GURU or even higher status without having helped a single person, right?

@Patrick M. Hausen
"The UI tells you what it will do" This is a good one. See my picture above posted 10:11PM, it tells it will install 4 updates and after that screws the installation. Where do YOU read that it says I WILL SCREW UP?

I once had a similar experience years back when I upgraded from some v10x to v10y through the GUI and my FreeNAS went wrong after reboot so I learned the best is to do the upgrade ISO install as we learned it in the old days.
Maybe I am wrong about the GUI now but you do not have the answer why I felt because if you were right you would call the software architects from FreeNAS and tell them what you told me and they would listen to you remove the advice to use ISO as one of the two upgrade options.
And as long that is not the case, you are wrong and leave my problem unsolved. Soon we will hopefully find a solution to it. Have a nice Valentine!

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The answer is

1. Do your update by the preferred method to get to 11.3.
2. If any system offers you an "update" to a version lower than the one you are already running, don't say "I do".

That's all I can offer to help.
Patrick

P.S. I already told you and everyone following a solution: midclt call update.set_train FreeNAS-11.3-STABLE

vafk

Contributor
You really do not read me. I warned the users NOT TO DO the upgrade because we do not know what causes the bug. If they do the upgrade and by mistake select to upgrade the system a second time (again to repeat one of my systems offered the buggy update, the other did not), this is too dangerous.
Unless you do not have the explanation and I guess you do not have it, else you would have shared it with us, it is too dangerous to keep saying what you said just now and then say "don't do the last step". People tend to click yes, yes, yes.

Removed by moderator because it is incorrect information.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Install 11.3 then use the command in my last post. This will fix the bogus update in the UI.

Patrick out.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

danb35

Hall of Famer
it tells it will install 4 updates
...and it tells you that those "updates" are a lower version that what's already running on your system. And you blindly charge on ahead, and blame the system because you aren't paying attention to what you're doing. Yes, it's a bug. But yes, it's also on you for not simply reading what's on the screen.

Edit: FWIW, my system isn't doing this--I upgraded from 11.2-U7 to 11.3, and now it's showing (correctly) no upgrades available.

Last edited:

vafk

Contributor
@danb35 I got your point. I call it sarcasm.
In the section of "system - update" where everything talks about "update" it says "Operation - Upgrade - base-os-11.03..."

So WTF will continue reading that after 53rd character when it continues "-> base-os-11.2" it actually means "downgrade" and not "upgrade"?

Yes I am to blame not to read up till the last character to get suspicious! Come on, in which world do you (we) live? I report a bug and all you have to say is to blame me for not understanding that announced upgrade by big IXSYSTENS means downgrade to a little vafk? Is that how you became WIZARD just by putting your finger into the wound of NEWBIES? Where were you when you discovered this bug and why did you not post the warning? Why did you not call the software architects to correct the bug or even better to stop spreading the upgrade=virus until it gets fixed?
Is the only productive comment you can deliver to say "you aren't paying attention to what you're doing"? Finishing that joke with "Yes, it's a bug"...

My only comment to this is: removed by Moderator because I brought up politics for some odd reason.

Meanwhile I will continue looking at the (un)helpful comments of all those high-ranked jabbers and put my comment too. Because I believe when a user starts a thread only those comments should contribute which were helpful. Again, those go to hell, who comment "use Google", "read before you click", "pay attention", go back to school".

Last but not least, where do you have your experience since your signature reads 11.2-U5. Go do the steps like I did and get your experience on 11.3 and then call me for help and see what you get. Where were all the wizards and gurus to warn us newbies? Yeah too late now, it was a newbie who among others pointed this "BUG". Shame on you!

Last edited: