BUILD Basic component check

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvand

Dabbler
Hi all,

New here but been lurking for quite some time. I think I have the basics in hardware selection down based on the hardware sticky.

Going to be looking at these components:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 V3 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($280.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SL7-F Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($161.00 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($106.50 @ Vuugo)

Still going to pick a case and have 6 WD Red on the way for Raid Z2.

Any problems with this setup? Still kind of debating what CPU to get but want to be able to stream plex and possibly run some virtual box VM's.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
seems fine. The only criticisms I'd have:

1. You plan on six drives. If that's the case, there's no reason to get an expensive X10SL7. You should get a considerably less expensive X10SLM.
  2. Are you sure you want an E3-1220? That's a lot of horsepower. An appropriate i3, based on the use-case you are speaking of, is probably adequate. Without more discussion from you about what's on your mind, I can't tell for sure. But, "Meh, couple of plexes, and a couple VB VM's", then, no, I don't think you need to buy a $300 CPU.

dvand

Dabbler
I think I went with that motherboard mostly because in Canada the difference was about $30USD and my thinking was for that delta may as well have the ability to throw another driver or two in there.

Also from what I understood in the hardware sticky to go i3 "...the *only* i3s that support ECC and are reasonably priced are Haswell i3 CPUs." and the cheapest haswell i3 I could find was only $30USD less.

Between the two I figured for $60USD or about $85 Canadian why not get the heftier hardware.

Dice

Wizard
Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think I went with that motherboard mostly because in Canada the difference was about $30USD and my thinking was for that delta may as well have the ability to throw another driver or two in there.

Also from what I understood in the hardware sticky to go i3 "...the *only* i3s that support ECC and are reasonably priced are Haswell i3 CPUs." and the cheapest haswell i3 I could find was only $30USD less.

Between the two I figured for $60USD or about $85 Canadian why not get the heftier hardware.
Sounds reasonable. Price difference is typically closer to 100 bucks each (for an i5-equivalent Xeon).

Status
Not open for further replies.