Based on this available hardware, should I got with ZFS or UFS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelzmike

Cadet
New to using FreeNAS and never really knew much about ZFS until today. Studied it for awhile and I am intrigued, though I am not sure if this is the best (or possible) option for me right now. From what I gather, ZFS may be more than what I need. This is (at least starting out) only really going to be for 3rd full backups from my Exchange and AD server (they are also backed up elsewhere) using Backup Exec on the MS Server side.

I have Intel Core 2 Quad, 4GB RAM (to be upgraded to 8 in about a week's time). I also have 2 new 2TB drives and one that is about 650GB. Initially, I was just going to use UFS in a Software RAID 1, using only the 2 2TB. Then I realized that perhaps ZFS would be interesting to try out and so I needed at least another HD. I do not have one that is the same size, so I yoked the 650 GB out of another machine.

So, the questions are: 1.) Does it make sense to set up ZFS with this setup, considering what little I am using it for (at least right now)., 2.) If so, what are the implications of using 1 that is 1/4 (roughly) the size of the others, 3.) How would I set it up if it does make sense. and 4.) Or should I just go straight up with the 2 2TB drives, RAID 1, and UFS? Thanks!

Mike

budmannxx

Contributor
1.) Does it make sense to set up ZFS with this setup, considering what little I am using it for (at least right now)
Of course you need to weigh the pros and cons of UFS with software raid vs. ZFS yourself, but this page found via the Google machine has some best practices:
http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide
(this section is probably what you're looking for: http://www.solarisinternals.com/wik...onfiguration_Requirements_and_Recommendations)

That Core 2 Quad will certainly support ZFS, and 4GB of RAM is probably the minimum you could get away with. I believe the general rule of thumb for RAM on ZFS is 1GB for every TB of storage

2.) If so, what are the implications of using 1 that is 1/4 (roughly) the size of the others
If you do this, you'll be wasting a ton of space (roughly 2.7GB). The 650GB drive will limit the usable space on the bigger drives to 650GB each. It is recommended to use drives of the same size in your ZFS array (or at least within your vdev)

3.) How would I set it up if it does make sense. and 4.) Or should I just go straight up with the 2 2TB drives, RAID 1, and UFS?
I think you'd be much better off getting another 2TB drive and making a RAIDZ vdev for your pool with the three 2TB drives. If this isn't possible, you should probably go with UFS and the software RAID if that meets your needs. Use the 650GB drive for something else.

shelzmike

Cadet
Thanks for the input. That is sort of what I was thinking anyway. However, I did notice that when setting up the volumes I do have the option of choosing ZFS mirrored with just the 2 discs. I thought that wasn't possible?

budmannxx

Contributor

paleoN

Wizard
I have Intel Core 2 Quad, 4GB RAM (to be upgraded to 8 in about a week's time).
With 8GB I'd go with a ZFS mirror of the 2TB drives. Make sure you are using the 64-bit install.

So, the questions are: 1.) Does it make sense to set up ZFS with this setup, considering what little I am using it for (at least right now).
Seems like it's a good opportunity to learn more considering this will be holding a backup of a backup.

However, I did notice that when setting up the volumes I do have the option of choosing ZFS mirrored with just the 2 discs. I thought that wasn't possible?
ZFS has the equivalent of all the popular RAID levels. As I said above I would go with a ZFS mirror. Or if you buy another drive, a 3-drive raidz1 is a good choice.

I'm with budmannxx in rereading the documentation ;)

shelzmike

Cadet
I decided to go with the UFS mirror instead for now. I really didn't have much more time to fool with it and figured that since my space needs currently are not at all that high in reality, I figured the benefits would be somewhat negligible. I did want to say that I did read the documentation before I ever posted the questions. Surely I can study it in detail but that is assuming that I do not have many other responsibilities. I am at the point now where I would just jump in and starts hands on, which is how I learn best; however, I just have too many other major projects taking my attention away.

On another note, I am HIGHLY impressed with FreeNAS and am glad someone suggested using it for my most current needs.

Thanks again for the help and responses!

Mike

paleoN

Wizard
I decided to go with the UFS mirror instead for now.
That's fine. It will peform very well with 4GB or 8GB of RAM.

I did want to say that I did read the documentation before I ever posted the questions. Surely I can study it in detail but that is assuming that I do not have many other responsibilities. I am at the point now where I would just jump in and starts hands on, which is how I learn best; however, I just have too many other major projects taking my attention away.

I don't think we doubted it, just that you could do with a reread of it. It's a lot to take in all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.