Backup FreeNAS Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smarley

Explorer
Hi guys,

What´s the best way to do backup FreeNAS data?
I saw some examples using Crashplan but always to send data from another computer to FreeNAS machine.
This is a nice idea for my data at home, but in the work I would like to have something automatically for all the storage.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

melloa

Wizard
What about a 2nd FreeNAS as back-up? I have two: Main one for CIFs, jails, etc, rsync'ed to the Back-up one.

Smarley

Explorer
But do you have in different location connect each other?
Because my concern is about robbery for example.

melloa

Wizard
Not is my case, no. It is for my home network. You can do it remotely, but I'd do the 1st sync locally for obvious reasons :)

Smarley

Explorer
Not is my case, no. It is for my home network. You can do it remotely, but I'd do the 1st sync locally for obvious reasons :)

Does Freenas has something ready to do the sync automaticaly?

melloa

Wizard
ZFS Replication. Check the forum and documentation for utilization. This is over my head :)

Smarley

Explorer
Ok!
Thanks!

Now I need to find a way to work the OpenVPN.

Smarley

Explorer
I check at the documentation seens to be easy to do.
In your off-site bakcup you use the same hard drive size?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If you want to replicate everything, then you will need the same size or larger target.

You are using multiple drives in a proper zfs configuration, right?

Smarley

Explorer
If you want to replicate everything, then you will need the same size or larger target.

You are using multiple drives in a proper zfs configuration, right?

Yes, in my work I have 2HD of 2.0Tb.
But I use only 10Gb of data.
So, this backup at home I would like to use a old computador that I have with 500Gb hard drive only.

This will be not possible?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Yes, in my work I have 2HD of 2.0Tb.
But I use only 10Gb of data.
So, this backup at home I would like to use a old computador that I have with 500Gb hard drive only.

This will be not possible?
An old computer? With FreeNAS?

Does it meet the hardware requirements for FreeNAS?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Because you have a simple small amount of data, of course you can make some automated backup on your local network and using some old computer. The old computer likely will not be running FreeNAS. You could run Windows 7 for example and then run SyncToy 2.1 on the old computer and have it automatically backup whenever you desire. There are a lot of ways to attack this problem if all you are doing is looking to maintain a second copy of your data.

Smarley

Explorer
An old computer? With FreeNAS?

Does it meet the hardware requirements for FreeNAS?

It´s Celeron J1800 with 8Gb of RAM.
I don´t know yet if will run ok because I did not find the CPU minimum requirements.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
It´s Celeron J1800 with 8Gb of RAM.
I don´t know yet if will run ok because I did not find the CPU minimum requirements.
With only one disk, I don't see a benefit of using FreeNAS with this hardware.

Smarley

Explorer
With only one disk, I don't see a benefit of using FreeNAS with this hardware.

I have in the work a Lenovo server with two disk running freenas.
This other machine in just in case a catastrophe like fire, robbery, etc...
Because I don´t have money know to buy another server, probably next year I will buy other.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I fully understand that you just want a second backup in case some physical damage occurs to your FreeNAS machine. While my original suggestion isn't the final solution, it would be a stop-gap until then. Also, I didn't really read that you wanted this to be an off-site backup. With that in mind, there are still several free options or you could use a paid service like Crashplan and at $5.00 a month, that is very cheap security and you will not have to manage a second FreeNAS system which will definitely be more expensive to purchase and then support. Look at it this way: Crashplan costs $60 a year. A FreeNAS computer will likely cost you $300 + $300 for a pair of hard drives = $600.00. If current prices remain then Crashplan would last you 10 years for the same cost. But you know hard drives will fail so you have those added costs and the fact that you need to do the replacement when it comes time will of course happen when it's inconvenient. Basically it could be cheaper both in the short and long run to use Crashplan.

Now I've talked myself into signing up for the Free 30 days so I can see how well it works myself.

Smarley

Explorer
I configured the Replication Tasks just for test in a virtual machine at home.
And work very well, now I can see and access my files of work at home.
This solve another problem that I did not got openvpn working in a jail yet to acess my files.

Do you know what happens if I modificate some file in the remote unit?
I think that in the next snapshop the server will replace this file maybe.

Smarley

Explorer
I fully understand that you just want a second backup in case some physical damage occurs to your FreeNAS machine. While my original suggestion isn't the final solution, it would be a stop-gap until then. Also, I didn't really read that you wanted this to be an off-site backup. With that in mind, there are still several free options or you could use a paid service like Crashplan and at $5.00 a month, that is very cheap security and you will not have to manage a second FreeNAS system which will definitely be more expensive to purchase and then support. Look at it this way: Crashplan costs $60 a year. A FreeNAS computer will likely cost you $300 + $300 for a pair of hard drives = $600.00. If current prices remain then Crashplan would last you 10 years for the same cost. But you know hard drives will fail so you have those added costs and the fact that you need to do the replacement when it comes time will of course happen when it's inconvenient. Basically it could be cheaper both in the short and long run to use Crashplan.

Now I've talked myself into signing up for the Free 30 days so I can see how well it works myself.

I will check that, It´s easy to configure the FreeNAS to upload the files at Crashplan?
I saw some guides at the internet but always to send data from your home pc to your freenas server using crashplan.

melloa

Wizard

Let us know. When considering the cost for servers, links, storage, etc, makes me scratch my head trying to understand how can it be so cheap. Unlimited storage for $60 ... or $150 for up to 10 PCs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.