SOLVED backup broken or just windows cannot count?

John Doe

Guru
Hi Folks,
currently I am taking a backup of my main system to a low budget FN (11.1-U5) system with 3x4 tb drives striped.
First I did a replication task. Just to double check i compared both SMB shares (the main system to the backups system) via windows 10 explorer. around 300gb were not mentioned and ~30.000 files were not listed on the backup system.

so I manually copied again everything, after several days I got the same resolut. I thought I did a mistake and wiped everything again and copied every thing again via windows 10 over SMB.
But I am having again the same strange behavior.
So i was digging to an example folder, an mp3 folder. on my main system it is listed with 200 files and 307.618 byte, my backup system told me 176 files and 258.986 byte
when I go a level deeper and calculated the size and amount of all files by myself I got to the correct size/amount.

so does anyone has a clue what could cause this?
this is actually my only backup and I would like to rely on it but I am worried that something is corrupted.
checksum on both FN systems is ok, so there is no indication for corrupt files.

any ideas?

*explanation to picture
Größe=size
Größe auf Datentäger=size on disc
Dateien= files
Ordner= Folders

I know a stripe of 3 discs is for sure discussion able. It is just a temporary solution until I update the main pool and the discs will be integrated to the backup system

Attachments

• reherhereh.JPG
    reherhereh.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 255

IceBoosteR

Guru
That looks strange for me. Normally Windows is able to count correct in both cases. to make sure everything is on the syste mas it should be, you could SSH in your system or use the UI-integrated shell and count the objects aswell as you need the overall size:

Code:
find . -type f | wc -l      -> find amount of files in current directory and all subdirectories)
du -sh *                       -> gets you the size of the current directory and all subdirectories

John Doe

Guru
on both freenas systems it is looking good. Both systems are having the same 6.1TB size.

So it must be windows.

IceBoosteR

Guru
Interesting. I mean, with all the bugs Windows has I am not surprised about this. But maybe it's just a permission error, so Windows is not able to see the other files?

John Doe

Guru
I considered permission issues as well, but both systems are having the same or windows is having the same on both FN systems.
so the only thing what I can assume is, that FN is doing something with the files which windows cannot handle, or windows is just having a bug.
e.g. timeout on counting after xx minutes or else.

IceBoosteR

Guru
Uff. I have not encountered this problem with my many windows machnines. Compression for example is also reflected by Windows - so I am a bit out of ideas how and why this occurs...
Sometimes a simple update can change this, you may ant to try 11.1-u7?

John Doe

Guru
haven't tried the update.
I will anyway built another, proper FN system for my backups. I will check it there, just to make sure it is not FN

John Doe

Guru
I tried the same with my new FN backup system
2x Micron 4GB PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 ECC UDIMM
Supermicro X10SLL-F
i3 4360 cpu
LSI Megaraid 9207-8i
5x 10tb WD red RaidZ1
same here. If I go into more detail, all files are there, so I am quite sure, it is a windows bug