Backing up PC and using Plex to view backed up files on FREENAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

damitchey

Cadet
Hi All,
To the best of my knowledge this question hasn't been asked before and the answer may be simple but here's what I what to do.

I have a decent but outdated PC ( I7 3770, 16gb ram @ 800mhz)
1-I would like to set it up with FREENAS
2-I want to backup/sync all my photos, videos, movies, TV Shows to the NAS whilst keeping the originals that I'll have access to on my Main PC for a quicker editing workflow
3-I would like to install PLEX onto the NAS as well so that I can view all media whilst my main PC is off so that I don't have to run it 24/7

My only question is, is there a software that directly copies the files from your PC to the NAS and keeps the same folder and naming convention so that programs like Plex can still read it? I was thinking OWNCLOUD or NEXTCLOUD but I've heard they're not designed for large amounts of files. Is this even possible? Or am I over thinking things?

Thanks in advance

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If it is a Windows computer, you can download the free tool from Microsoft called "Sync Toy". Just do a Google search for it. It allows you to configure a one way sync, that you can run on demand. It will copy everything the first time, then it will only copy changed files.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

damitchey

Cadet
If it is a Windows computer, you can download the free tool from Microsoft called "Sync Toy". Just do a Google search for it. It allows you to configure a one way sync, that you can run on demand. It will copy everything the first time, then it will only copy changed files.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Cheers Chris! I knew there was a simple option out there it just made sense. Checked out SyncToy, it looks good! Much appreciated

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You can also set it up as a scheduled task that will run as often as you like. I've got mine set up to run once a day and it's worked flawlessly for a couple years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.