Available disk space mismatch between GUI and command line

Status
Not open for further replies.

leenux_tux

Patron
I have seen a few comments around this issue previously and have spotted a ticket in the bug tracking system for something similar (https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4419) which has been closed (fixed), however, I'm not 100% sure it is.

I finally found some time to rebuild my FreeNAS server with all of the new components I have purchased over the last few months

• Extra IBM M1015, now have two.
  • Additional 5 X 2TB hard drives, so I now have 4X1TB dedicated as an ISCSI block device for VMWare ESXi and 10X2TB in a single RAIDZ2 Pool.
  • New rack mounted case
  • New rack.
On completing the removal of the old pool (TANK), trashing the disks, creating a new Z2 pool (again called TANK) with 10x2 TB drives I was expecting a little more than 12.5TB to be listed the total size of my array. Please see below.

POOL_LIST_GUI.jpg

When I use the command line to look at the amount of disk space available, I get a very different number, please see below.

POOL_LIST_CMD_LINE.jpg

Interestingly though, the POOL I have for my VM's (which has NOT been destroyed and re-created) is also incorrect, but not by a margin that concerns me.

Even amount listed via SSH doesn't look right, it looks too much. I was expecting to lose two drives to parity.

It's a conundrum, or is it ?

mjws00

Guru
The gui totals are being reworked. They were built to accomodate ufs as well... so there are known problems, may be fixed in 9.3 already.

You showed 'zpool list' which is the entire raw pool size and does not account for loss due to parity. Do the TiB vs TB math... and you'll be fine.

The more useful command is 'zfs list'. This will show you the exact breakdown and what is left and accounts for parity, datasets, etc.

Might be even more to it than that wrt snapshots etc.... but those basics should get you by.

leenux_tux

Patron
mjws00, thanks for the information.

I have done a "zfs list" and the numbers output are similar to the GUI. I find it amazing that the pool can go from 20TB to 12.5TB,

ZFS_LIST_POOL_LIST_CMD_LINE.jpg

Should I really lose so much space to parity ?

This is a brand new pool, created this week with data restored from backups, no snapshots.

Don't get me wrong, 12.5TB is plenty disk space for me at the moment, however, I'm just trying to understand where all that disk space has gone.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You don't have 12.5TB

Your pool is the sum of TANK-AVAIL and all of the USED categories. That puts you at about 14.6TB

You don't know how to interpret the numbers. ;)

You have the exact quantity of disk space you should have for a RAIDZ2. Nothing more, nothing less.

leenux_tux

Patron
Ahh nuts your right. I got up way too early this morning..............

Status
Not open for further replies.