Automated install....

fds09w4jih4r

Dabbler
If we were looking to automate the install of freenas, how would you suggest we tackle it.. We're willing to mount an ISO and then let it rip.. Any and all suggestions welcome..

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I would be guessing that something like an img file of a working boot drive and a script on the ISO to dd that file to the boot drive... maybe would work if you have a consistent hardware arrangement... you would then need to either "restore" a config file (which you either manipulate to be unique for IP address or you have a staging address which you then go into the GUI and edit to complete the build) or just configure it from defaults according to what was set when you took the img.

I don't have much experience with build automation outside the Windows scope which is most of my work life, so I'm making the best guess based on that.

It would be interesting to see if the folks at IX have something they use in their "factory" process that they would be happy to share. (maybe some kind of "answers file" that can be supplied to the setup which would then allow the setup to run unattended according to those answers ...unattend.txt as it was in Windows)

sretalla