Asus C8HM70

Status
Not open for further replies.

creepwood

Explorer
Asus is releasing a new motherboard with a soldered CPU, Sandy Bridge. Very cheap with only two SATA ports, However with a SAS/SATA expansion card which many will use anyway since most motherboards doesn't have enough sata-ports anyway, this would be a viable candidate?

What I'm wondering is, is this Celeron CPU too weak for a large freenas installation. I'm running on AMD E-350 CPU and that setup works very well for me. But since I'm thinking of expanding I'll be buying a Serveraid M1015 expansion card, it maxes out at 8GB RAM though which is the only real drawback with my system. The new ASUS motherboard is 16GB max.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Personally, I avoid Realtek NICs. You don't have many options in the realm of upgrading your NIC since you have only 1 PCIe slot and you really need to use it for a HBA. If you aren't expecting more than about 60-80MB/sec then I'd say its a good option. Not sure how well it will perform though. I'm not a fan of Celerons and never used one in a build so I can't say if they'll be able to handle the processing. Assuming the CPU can handle the processing it looks like a good option.

Status
Not open for further replies.