Assistance please? Replaced a drive and two drive degraded and repeatedly resilver?

DanielJC

Cadet
Hi all,

Some assistance please. I've been running a 3 drive raid without issue for a couple of years now when last week I heard the inevitable tik tik tik tik..... pause.... tik tik tik tik... from the machine. I did what most sane people would do and ordered a new hard drive, took the NAS offline, isolated the source drive of the noise, and removed it from the system.
Unfortunately, I DIDN'T do the first thing you should do when starting a task like this and make a backup of the files (i know, a fool)

Ok so here is where we were:

I had drives:
ada0P2
ada1P2 - Problem drive which was replaced
ada2P2

So followed the replace disk procedure with the new disk and everything seemed to go ok with all disks showing online and the first resilvering started.
Then after the first resilvering task finished i got the following:

ada0P2 - DEGRADED
ada1P2 - New drive - now DEGRADED
ada2P2

And the system continues to resilver! how can I recover from the situation? It is worth pointing out that the replaced drive is still viable, and might be able to e used once again in the system though i'm not sure how this would work if I've told the system it has been replaced.

• ASUS Prime A320I-K
  • AMD Athlon 3000G
  • 8GB Ram
  • Boot drive 256MB NVME SSD
  • 3 drive raid5 setup with the following disks
    • ada0P2 Seagate Ironwolf 2TB
    • ada1P2 - Seagate Ironwolf Pro 2TB (ST2000NE0025) (FAILED DISK)
      • REPLACED WITH Western Digital 2TB Red plus (WD20EFZX)
    • ada0P2 Seagate Desktop 2TB (ST20000DM001)
  • Hard disk controllers - MB SATA. no additional controller
  • Network cards - MB network card
Any help would be welcome... Other than the obvious that I should have backed up my files before the swap!

Arwen

MVP
Please list your software version. Since you specify RAID5, (which ZFS does not support), it is entirely possible you are using some really old version of FreeNAS.