Assistance in how best to configure my hardware for ZFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkejr

Cadet
I was interested in using FreeNAS when I first built my home server but the version of AFP wouldn't work with Lion so it was a no go. Instead I set it up with Ubuntu server and have it running just fine with my Mac time machine backups. I notice that the latest version of FreeNAS has everything I need and want to wipe this machine and install FreeNAS which was my original intent.
The machine is a HP Microserver has a 64-bit AMD cpu with 8GB RAM and currently has 1x250GB HDD attached to the CDROM SATA as the primary system disk for Ubuntu and it has 4x2TB disks setup as 2x2TB mirrored RAID. The HP Microserver also has a USB mounted on the motherboard where I can use a 4GB USB drive to install FreeNAS. At home I have several Mac OSX Lion machines, a Windows7 and a Linux development machine.
I'd like to install ZFS so I can use it's snapshots to protect my data. The machine would serve SSH, NFS, AFP and CIFS for now.
The 4x2TB disks can be setup in the BIOS as part of a hardware RAID or can be run as just normal SATA disks.
Can anyone provide me with some guidance on how best to setup my hardware and FreeNAS so I get the most out of both?
I'm very computer literate, just not that knowledgable about ZFS at the moment.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.