ASMedia ASM1042 USB 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxzab

Cadet
Anyone have any luck getting USB3.0 to work with ASMedia ASM1042 chip? These are the onboard ports on my motherboard but freenas 8.0.4 p1 x64 does not seem to see any drives I plug in to them. But the motherboards UEFI can so I am thinking that maybe there is driver or this chip is not supported. I have seen in the forms that it looks like freenas 8.0.1+ now supports usb3.0.

moraga695

Dabbler
USB 3 Tip

Anyone have any luck getting USB3.0 to work with ASMedia ASM1042 chip? These are the onboard ports on my motherboard but freenas 8.0.4 p1 x64 does not seem to see any drives I plug in to them. But the motherboards UEFI can so I am thinking that maybe there is driver or this chip is not supported. I have seen in the forms that it looks like freenas 8.0.1+ now supports usb3.0.

For those of you trying to get USB 3 ports to work in Freenas, here's something I just found in another post:

In the GUI, add a new tunable with the Variable of "xhci_load" (without the quotes) and Value of "YES" (without the quotes). Then, reboot Freenas.

Note: if your motherboard won't boot from USB 3 (mine won't) the above won't change that, but after Freenas loads, USB 3 devices should be recognized. It worked for me with Freenas 8.04 x64, p2. Apparently, xhci isn't loaded by default in Freenas because some motherboards choke on it.

xxzab

Cadet
For those of you trying to get USB 3 ports to work in Freenas, here's something I just found in another post:

In the GUI, add a new tunable with the Variable of "xhci_load" (without the quotes) and Value of "YES" (without the quotes). Then, reboot Freenas.

Note: if your motherboard won't boot from USB 3 (mine won't) the above won't change that, but after Freenas loads, USB 3 devices should be recognized. It worked for me with Freenas 8.04 x64, p2. Apparently, xhci isn't loaded by default in Freenas because some motherboards choke on it.

Thanks, this seemed to have activated my usb 3.0 ports now. I tested with a usb2.0 device to see if FreeNAS would see the device on a 3.0 port and it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.