Asmedia 106x SATA Controller problem on FreeNAS 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huy Bui

Cadet
I've been searching for help with my extra HDDs installation on FreeNAS 9.3 Stable and I've gotten nowhere. I'm hoping some of you guys can shed some lights into my problem.

I have a FreeNAS box with 2 onboard SATA ports currently have 2 identical 1TB HDD mirroring. That's working perfectly.

Here's the problem:

I've just recently added a SATA controller ASMEDIA 106x v.061 GEN 2 (Firmware ver.: 140218_00_F0_01) (AHCI Mode) to gain 2 extra SATA slots so I can install my 2 identical 3TB HDD (I also want to mirror these two in FreeNAS). Upon turning on my FreeNAS, I can see the RAID card sees my 2 3TB drives. Pressed Ctrl+R to enter RAID menu shows me that the RAID card is current "disabled" which is what I want (I want FreeNAS to handle my drives).

But the problem is, when FreeNAS is ready, going into FreeNAS web control panel, Storage, View Disks, I can only see 3 drives in total: my original 2 1TB and 1 more 3TB (i was expecting 2 3TB, not 1).

Is it because of my card? Is it not supported by FreeNAS? Or do I need to update the driver for the card somehow?

I really appreciate your help.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yes, you want a SATA controller, not a RAID card. The driver support for random SATA controllers is kind of hit-or-miss, but the driver support for the cards that are a combo of RAID plus "generic" SATA seems to be much worse.

Also, it's a really good idea to follow the Forum Rules (conveniently linked at the top of every page in Red) and provide a hardware and software manifest.

Huy Bui

Cadet
Yep. You should take a look at the links in my sig to check about recommended hardware.
Yes, you want a SATA controller, not a RAID card. The driver support for random SATA controllers is kind of hit-or-miss, but the driver support for the cards that are a combo of RAID plus "generic" SATA seems to be much worse.

Also, it's a really good idea to follow the Forum Rules (conveniently linked at the top of every page in Red) and provide a hardware and software manifest.

Thank you. That was fast. I will purchase the IBM ServeRAID M1015. Can't believe I lost a whole week for this problem. Again, thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.