Array drops a disk and then reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bensam123

Cadet
So, I installed FreeNAS 8 a couple days ago on a old Celeron 667 with 384Mb of memory. Everything setup fine and I made a raid 1 array with UFS and CIFS shares. I was and am still able to copy files to it just fine on my home network, the NAS in question is being designed for my mothers network though. When I brought the computer over there and set it up it worked fine till I ran windows 7 backup. When I ran the backup it worked for about five minutes of transferring, then the computer rebooted showing that one of the disks in the array was degraded. I tried running the backup again thinking that it would still be able to rebuild the array and the backup would just take a lot longer. That in turn once again triggered a reboot.

I took the computer home and decided the power supply and memory were probably bad, so I switched it out for a bigger PSU and different memory I had. I added another hard drive in a raid 3 array as well and booted the computer up. It worked perfectly fine again without a hickup. I did a continual transfer of a bunch of small files to it and it ran just fine without a hickup, even though it was quite slow. I once again moved it over to my moms house and set it up there. After about five minutes in the windows backup, it once again rebooted and dropped a disk (it was a different disk this time).

I took it home again and tried transferring to it in a degraded state. It was extremely slow but stable. So I let the array rebuild itself. I then tried a bunch of transfers at the same time thinking one of the disks could be dropping because the controller can't keep up (four transfers at the same time of pictures). It worked perfectly fine and performed almost on par with one file transfer, only the speed was split among all four transfers (which was impressive). I then thought that windows backup might be doing something funny to it, so I tried doing just that and the computer at my house backs up perfectly fine to it.

I checked the power at my moms house to see if there was a huge variance causing spikes, but it actually has less variance then at my house. At my moms it was at around 120v and at my house it's around 114v.

I'm completely baffled. Both networks are 100Mb. The only thing I can think of is maybe my mothers computer is sending some sort of strange command to the NAS causing a kernel panic?

Long story short, it works fine at home, I take it to my moms and it reboots and drops a disk after five minutes of windows backup working. Alternatively it could be it reboots, which causes it to drop a disk because it's in the middle of writing to it. I'm not sure as there isn't a monitor over there so I can watch it. I don't know what's causing it to reboot in the first place.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
FreeNAS 8 with 384MB? What is the panic message?
The amount of RAM is probably the reason... I might have better luck with Freenas 0.7, although it might still be too low

Bensam123

Cadet
I don't know how to check what it is? It doesn't display anything in the console after the reboot except that the array is degraded and it's rebuilding it. It doesn't display anything before the reboot either, it simply locks and reboots itself.

The odd part is that it works fine at my house, but doesn't at my moms. The memory is the same at both places.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Well then your assumption may be correct.
The problem might be the PSU that cannot handle electrical variations...

Status
Not open for further replies.