Approaches to scaling an SSD Pool

paulinventome

Explorer
So I am scanning the forums and reading and researching but I'm hoping for some specific advice as well

One of the pools in my server is a 3x4TB SSD Z1. I now have 5x4TB SSDs and I am working out what the best set up is for this. I am thinking Z2 so I have two drives of redundancy. Performance wise I'm on 10gbe but really these drives are holding business stuff and media that is less performance based. I have a NVMe pool which is a performance based scratch drive.

I am presuming there is no way to expand this pool so I am assuming a backup and delete/rebuild of it?

Also if a drive does go down in a Z1/Z2 what are the steps for rebuild?

Or would people recommend a different pool set up because of SSD?

Kindest
Paul

samarium

Contributor
Correct backup, destroy, create.

Suggest you read the TN Documentation, as linked above. Basic operations such as replacement are covered and the background information will be useful.

Performance wise, I tend to test if I have concerns. Basic structure of Z2 for more redundancy should work.

If you are destroying the pool then I would take the opportunity to do a bulk discard, or secure erase of the SSDs to return them to optimal state before creating the new pool, however I don't know how to do that in TNC.