Application "back-off restarting failed container."

ZeroNyte

Cadet
Trying to redo my basic small "server" but been running into quite some issues. right now the main issue is that I can't get apps to work as they should, I constantly get the "Back-off restarting failed container" logs, no matter what application I try to install, it end in the same result.

1680797885229.png

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Suggest you follow "forum Rules" and provide a system description... including software version.

Plus what Apps are working and which are not?

ZeroNyte

Cadet
missed that part, my bad.
Hardware I'm using:
-I5-4460,
-16GB ddr3-1600,
-ASRock b85m pro4
-1x 120GB kingston SSD, 1x 240GB kingston SSD, 2x 1TB seagate HDDs.

truenas version: 22.12.1,

Apps I'm trying with are:
-Jellyfin
-navidrome
-qbittorrent
-vaultwarden
-plex

wanted to redo everything and try things out, but no luck with it this time.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
missed that part, my bad.
Hardware I'm using:
-I5-4460,
-16GB ddr3-1600,
-ASRock b85m pro4
-1x 120GB kingston SSD, 1x 240GB kingston SSD, 2x 1TB seagate HDDs.

truenas version: 22.12.1,

Apps I'm trying with are:
-Jellyfin
-navidrome
-qbittorrent
-vaultwarden
-plex

wanted to redo everything and try things out, but no luck with it this time.

So none of the Apps work for you?

Have you tried a standard TrueNAS App.... not TrueCharts?

I assume its a configuration issue...... perhaps start with an overview of pools and networks and Kubernetes settings.

ZeroNyte

Cadet
Ive tried it with standard app for plex, but result is the same, unless I don't configure storage for it, then it works, but as soon as I want to give it storage so I can store media it doesn't work.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Is the storage provided = shared storage... host path validation needs to be disabled.

Otherwise, please provide dataset configuration...and permissions.

ZeroNyte

Cadet
uh this is how I have it:

1680952462178.png

1680952505454.png

and this is for the app(s) going to their respective location:
1680952433539.png

as for permissions, I just login with root or my own (which has root access) but keep everything standard and do auto permission for these things, if that is relevant.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
uh this is how I have it:

View attachment 65500
View attachment 65501

and this is for the app(s) going to their respective location:
View attachment 65499

as for permissions, I just login with root or my own (which has root access) but keep everything standard and do auto permission for these things, if that is relevant.

So everyone has Read/write access to the data?

Is hostpathvalidation disabled in Kubernetes settings?

16GB RAM should be enough to run a few Apps..... can anyone else see an issue here?

ZeroNyte

Cadet
this is the permission list of the media share:

1681032201571.png

turned hostpath validation off to see if that'd do anything, but results in the same.
I don't know what changed, but when I first did this on a older system (dell optiplex 790 with a i5-2400, 16GB ram, 240gb kingston ssd, 1tb seagate hdd, also truenas scale 22.12.1) I had no problems.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I don't know what changed, but when I first did this on a older system (dell optiplex 790 with a i5-2400, 16GB ram, 240gb kingston ssd, 1tb seagate hdd, also truenas scale 22.12.1) I had no problems.
Hmm...nothing changed?
Networking is all working well?

Any chance the "other permissions" need write access for this App?

(anyone else with other ideas should chime in... I haven't seen this issue before)

josephM

Cadet
HI, I am having exactly the same issues after upgrading my server from core to scale - 'Back-off restarting failed container' when installing Nextcloud or plex.
Were you able to find the solution?

Only the app Netdata appears to work for me.

OS Version:TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.2
Product:A1SAi
Model:Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2558 @ 2.40GHz
Memory:16 GiB

thanks,

Joseph

IliaTsvetkov

Cadet
I get the same issue after upgrading to Bluefin, with `Owncloud ocis` app :/
Anybody knows how to fix the issue?

ZeroNyte

Cadet
Got it mostly fixed, one of the SSDs was causing issues, but now when I start my server NextCloud stays on "Deploying 1/2" with this:
1688135144406.png

IliaTsvetkov

Cadet
I have the same issue, just with 1 application - `Owncloud ocis`.
I have Bluefin, the storage is not SMB
1688418065685.png

Permissions - default, never changed those:
1688418097149.png

App data storage - PVC
App Config Storage - PVC
Additional App Storage:
1688418178377.png

Has anybody resolved the issue?

I am currently also experiencing this issue. I updated my server with new hard drives, created new pools, transferred the data, decided to re-create my apps for good measure instead of transferring the ix-applications datasets and now I am having the back-off-restarting-failed-container error myself for multiple apps. I'm trying to resolve Jellyfin first. So I have the same problem as everybody here. I took a look at the logs and noticed that there is a permission denied for some directory creation stuff which is very likely the cause of the problem. Now, I'm just not sure what is the user trying to create the files. The path also does not exist yet which could make sense if whatever is trying to create it is not able to.

I'm not sure if the user is the "apps" user/group and if so what permission on what I need to grant to be able to move forward. I managed to create my apps before switching to this new pool without any problem so I have no idea where this is coming from.

1702313300109.png

I was finally able to resolve this issue thanks to the help of HoneyBadger on the Discord server.

First, he linked me to this : https://www.reddit.com/r/truenas/co...?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

At first, when I enabled the ACL I couldn't set the configs. The Header appeared, but there was no body for my to fill the UID and stuff like that. I had to update my Bluefin version to Cobia and afterward everything was working fine. Jellyfin was deploying properly.

I still had to go back to my settings to apply the apps owner on my media share recursively. Else, Jellyfin could see the directories, but not read the contents.