Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Apple Time Machine

rvassar

FreeNAS Guru
Thanks
I've been experimenting with Apple's Time Machine backup on my scratch pool (3x2Tb raidz). I set up a AFP share, set a 500Gb quota, and configured it on my Mac, and it worked quite well for a six weeks or so. The problem I have is Time Machine seems to know the pool size, and is not trimming the older backups to stay in the 500Gb quota size I set. So when the quota limit was enforced, the backup failed.

Since I don't plan on keeping the scratch pool long term (one of the disks is at 56k hours...) I'd like to figure out how to limit TM's use to the quota, so I can move it to the main pool.

Anyone have any tricks/tips?

rvassar

FreeNAS Guru
Thanks
What size disk do you have on the Mac?
It's a 500Gb SSD, with a little less than 300 Gb in use. I had been backing it up to a 500Gb USB external disk for the last several years, hence the initial 500Gb quota. But the problem is TM has no idea what the quota is, and manages based on the reported volume size. So I'm probably going to try a 500Gb "contraption" later today, unless someone has a better idea.

Thanks
Have you set the quota on the dataset or are you using TM quotas?

garm

FreeNAS Expert
Thanks
Okey, then something else is going on. My AFP share with quota showed up just fine in TimeMachine. But with 300GB on the Mac and 500 GB on the quota, you should not need any trimming unless you regularly cycle through hundreds of GB?

Thanks
Also if using TM quotas you have to re-mount the share before it will show the quoted size so try moving the TM share rebooting and adding it again.

rvassar

FreeNAS Guru
Thanks
Also if using TM quotas you have to re-mount the share before it will show the quoted size so try moving the TM share rebooting and adding it again.
Re-mount the share from the Mac? Or re-import the pool / reboot the NAS?

Thanks
Re-mount the share from the Mac? Or re-import the pool / reboot the NAS?
re-mount the share on the Mac with a reboot of the client machine in between disconnecting it and re-mounting it just in case. So basically start as new from the client end.