APC ES 750VA or APC Back-UPS 750

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethereal

Guru
i'm interested in a ups and i saw a post from cyberjock (2 years ago) - he said he had an ES 750VA (BE750G-JP) which worked with no configuration required.

"I can tell you that I have an APC Back-UPS ES 750 and I'm 99.9% sure it was used on my FreeNAS server at one time. Not sure of the exact settings I used though but it worked out of the box with one of FreeNAS' default configurations."

the apc website says it is not available where i am (usa) - i assume the JP means japan - is the Back-ups 750 the american version? is it compatible with freenas ? did cyberjock have the japanese version or is he mistaken?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The Back-UPS are the crappiest units they have. I wouldn't go below Back-UPS Pro, and even then, In have my doubts regarding their waveforms.

Honestly, sticking to a pure sinewave UPS is a good idea.

ethereal

Guru
does it make a big difference with regard to the waveforms - as soon as the power is out i am shutting the freenas down

JDCynical

Contributor
does it make a big difference with regard to the waveforms - as soon as the power is out i am shutting the freenas down
For the short amount of time that a system is on backup power during the shutdown, it probably won't make a big difference, unless the hardware is older and/or temperamental.

The way I look at it, if I'm dropping a non-trivial amount of money on a system, I'm going to put it behind a power backup that outputs the power waveform that the system is designed for.

Google for 'true sine wave vs simulated sine wave', both web and images, for lots of info on the pros and cons of the two. My own experiences with how electronics deal with a simulated sine, and the amount of noise generated when it was on said simulated, convinced me to spend the extra for a true sine on my backup units for anything that is considered critical, which is why I've got APC SmartUPS units on my rack, under my desk for my main desktop machines, and the belkin with the simulated backing up the DVR (old core2 duo mythtv box) equipment only.

danb35

Hall of Famer
...if you're there, and not busy doing something else, and you think about it... Or you can get a UPS that communicates with nut, configure FreeNAS properly, and it'll automatically shut itself down.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The real problem is that most "pseudo-sinewave" outputs are much closer to a PWMed square wave that ends up with a crazy peak voltage than a sinewave.

ethereal

Guru
thanks for your replies dudes - i think i will go with this one - CyberPower CP850PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System with pure sine wave output.

will my ups just work with freenas or do i have to do some configuring ?

danb35

Hall of Famer
You will have to do some configuring with any UPS, if you want it to communicate its status to your server--you will need to turn on the UPS service, select a driver, and select the correct port, at a minimum. Additional configuration is optional. You shouldn't need to do anything further with that one--I have the 1500-VA model and it worked with just that setup.

ethereal

Guru
okay - found that stuff in processes - ups - it doesn't list my model but i think it uses this driver - usbhid-ups

thank you

rogerh

Guru
I would recommend un-ticking the box marked 'Power Off UPS' unless and until you are very sure about what would happen if it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.