Anyone willing to write a plugin if I pay them?

Gridlok

Cadet
I don't think this violates forum rules, I'm not asking for support, but feel free to take this down if it has.

I have just taken a punt and installed my first (of hopefully many) Truenas server, it is 1.4PB in size, has loads of SSD cache, half a TB of ram and is connected to my switch at 40Gb/s. So far, things are working really well, performance is off the charts and I am quite happy.

But I have a need for a specific tool which is available for other systems, and I'm wondering if any of you are interested in writing it for me? Or if you can suggest someone who can take it on.

Few things if you are interested.
I need to know in advance a set amount, I will show you the exact piece of open source software I want made into a plugin, you tell me the price.
I need a fairly accurate time frame in the beginning.
I need evidence that you have contributed to Truenas plugins before.

Why don't you write it yourself, I hear some of you ask? I know where my talents lie, and this is not one of them.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is it a tool likely to be of general interest? If so, and it's something that can readily run under FreeBSD, it's entirely possible that someone will create an automated installation method. I haven't done any plugins, but I've written a few scripted installations (the most popular being Nextcloud) that give much of the "set and forget" simplicity.

dak180

Patron
I may be interested in doing something like this though as @danb35 alluded to, an automated install script may be a better choice depending on what you want to do. They are generally more flexible than a plugin in what you can do. You can check out the script I use for setting up automated jails for my system here.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What exactly is it you want to do? There are many knowledgeable members here that I'm sure would be willing to volunteer help you get something running if they can. It would be great if it was done in the open here on the forum so others could benefit from it as well.

Gridlok

Cadet
I want to find a simple way for my admins to use qdirstat from a web interface. We work in an environment where we can have directories multiple layers deep that contain TB's of data in quite small files, like image sequences and such. It is the only tool that allows us to quickly go "that folder in folder1\folder2\blah\blah\blah\blah contains 3 million dpx files and is using 68TB of data.

danb35

Hall of Famer
So, if I'm not mistaken, you're not asking for existing software to be packaged as a plugin; you're asking for new software (a web frontend to qdirstat) to be written, and then that be packaged as a plugin. Quite a different request.

Probably the simplest way to make this happen would be to set up a jail with qdirstat, X11, and its other dependencies, along with NoVNC to allow users to access it via a browser. But still pretty involved--last time I remember messing with that was when I was trying to make Crashplan not suck.