Anyone seen better CIFs performance with 9.2.1 RC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcevan

Patron
Noticed the the new RC for 9.2.1 has SMB3 support and that prior was SMB2 support.

SMB2 was ~Vista while SMB3 is ~Win8

Windows7 is really SMB2.2 which I don't believe was supported in SMB2 but is rolled up in SMB3.

So I would think there would be some CIFS performance to a Win7 playout under the new SMB3 9.2.1 RC.

So has anyone experienced this?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
SMB3 brings nothing significant to the table for Windows 7. If you want the main advantages for SMB3, you have to go with Windows 8+, or another OS that supports SMB3.

marcevan

Patron
Cyberjock,

I should have said SMB2.1 is Win7.

From Wikipedia:

SMB 2.1, introduced with Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2, introduced minor performance enhancements with a new opportunistic locking mechanism.

So that's what I'm looking for...some kind of improvement since I use Win7 as HTPC front-end and it's already got SMB2.1, but freeNAS 9.2.0 has SMB2.

If I moved my Win7 to Win8.1, I'd have to buy the upgrade, but WMC, and put up with an angry wife.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Or you can go to Linux or FreeBSD or anything else that uses SMB3 and avoid the MS tax. ;)

I'm running Windows 7 and Linux on my desktop(soon to have 10Gb) so there will be interesting things to glean from SMB3.

marcevan

Patron
I am running Ubuntu in my office and did NFS shares so I can run Crashplan right from Ubuntu without the hassle of headless plugin on freeNAS.

However, I got a free copy of Win 8.1 Pro from a friend that I might do as dual-boot on my Win7 HTPC. Only issue is having to buy the media pack or whatever they call WMC these days.

akc360

Cadet
For HTPC work i cant imagine that you will notice much (or any) difference between SMB2 and 3. However i noticed a good jump on windows 8.1 with smb3 and 10gb NIC's doing video and photo editing.

marcevan

Patron
Tried, but my freeNAS 9.2.0 upgrade to 9.2.1 fried something and samba remained at SMB2. Windows 8.1 is on SMB4.4 and was locked out of CIFS with errors galore.

Redid my freeNAS as 9.2.0 again and now using Win7. I don't think 9.2.1 is fully baked.

Rand

Guru
I wonder whether SMB3.0 with multiple connections would allow the usage of aggregated NICs (client and server obviously) to achieve >1GB throughput?

ser_rhaegar

Patron

Rand

Guru
Hm wonder whether one can set Hash algorithm to 5 like suggested...
ifconfig(8)
lagghash option[,option]
Set the packet layers to hash for aggregation protocols which
load balance. The default is ``l2,l3,l4''. The options can be
combined using commas.

l2 src/dst mac address and optional vlan number.
l3 src/dst address for IPv4 or IPv6.
l4 src/dst port for TCP/UDP/SCTP.

Edit: Nevermind thats a switch setting - missed that

Rand

Guru
Hm Smb3 is not Smb3 as it seems... Samba 4 apparently does not provide support for multipath io :(

Status
Not open for further replies.