Anyone having any luck with SATADOMS?

SATA DOM Thoughts?

• Used them / don't trust them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jamiejunk

Contributor
We bought like 10 SATA DOMS a few years ago. I installed a few in some servers for OSes, and I think they died pretty quickly. I don't remember the details, because it's been awhile. But I remember swearing them off and just moving to mirrored 2.5 inch SSDs.

We're doing a server refresh, and I really hate burning up two drive bays to hold OS drives. I'm kicking around the idea of just 3M taping the 2.5 inch OS drives inside the cast, but looking at all those yellow powered SATA DOM ports is really making me consider using SATA DOMs again. Also, I don't have much space in my 1U servers.

Did I just have some bad luck, and everyone loves SATA DOMS? Or am I correct in thinking they are crap and I should stay away from them? What does the hive mind think about SATADOMS?

I'm currently considering using mirrored 64 gig Supermicro SSD-DM064-SMCMVN1.

Arwen

MVP
I have 3 SATA DOMS, one supplied with my FreeNAS Mini bought around 2015. I don't know the brand, but it was 16GB, more than enough for FreeNAS at the time. It worked fine until I moved and shutdown that FreeNAS Mini.

Later I bought a 32GB Supermicro SATA DOM to use a mirror, (because I could not be certain that Supermicro's 16GB would be as large or larger than my existing one.) That worked great too, (again until the FreeNAS Mini was shutdown during a move).

Eventually I also bought a 64GB Supermicro SATA DOM to act as an OS mirror for my Linux desktop's 500GB internal hard drive. It too worked until I moved.

So I would say it's brand dependent. Just like USB flash drives, their are bad companies making SATA DOMs, as well as good companies.

If you have a choice, SLC, (Single Level Cell), flash memory is more reliable that trying to pack in multiple bits into a single cell.

c77dk

Patron
We're using satadoms in one of our TrueNAS systems, for the same reason you're stating: not using drive bays for the OS. No problems so far (think it has been running 2 years now). We're using the ones from Supermicro

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Some specific models/brands have been iffy, to the point that iX had to send out a truckload of replacements a few years back. Worth a quick search to identify known stinkers.

I'm using a single eUSB DOM in my three systems since I don't have an extra SATA bay. I made sure they were SLC flash for durability, but they are definitely more expensive.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I run a 16GB Supermicro SATADOM in my build. It's been running for over 5 years without issue.

jamiejunk

Contributor
I have 3 SATA DOMS, one supplied with my FreeNAS Mini bought around 2015. I don't know the brand, but it was 16GB, more than enough for FreeNAS at the time. It worked fine until I moved and shutdown that FreeNAS Mini.

Later I bought a 32GB Supermicro SATA DOM to use a mirror, (because I could not be certain that Supermicro's 16GB would be as large or larger than my existing one.) That worked great too, (again until the FreeNAS Mini was shutdown during a move).

Eventually I also bought a 64GB Supermicro SATA DOM to act as an OS mirror for my Linux desktop's 500GB internal hard drive. It too worked until I moved.

So I would say it's brand dependent. Just like USB flash drives, their are bad companies making SATA DOMs, as well as good companies.

If you have a choice, SLC, (Single Level Cell), flash memory is more reliable that trying to pack in multiple bits into a single cell.
Thanks for the reply. Probably not important, but you kinda made it sound like everything died when you moved. What happened if you don't mind me asking?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I have about a dozen or so in various servers for 5-6 years. All Supermicro brand, no failure yet.

jamiejunk

Contributor
SOLD! Thanks everybody!
So is everyone using the SLC ones? Seems like every Supermicro one i'm seeing is MLC. Maybe that's fine seeing as a lot of you seem to be using the Supermicro ones.

Arwen

MVP
Thanks for the reply. Probably not important, but you kinda made it sound like everything died when you moved. What happened if you don't mind me asking?
I packed the FreeNAS Mini away, (and my old PC), intending to empty the storage locker in my old city after I settled in the new city, (which is about 850 miles away). Except COVID-19...

So, all 3 SATA DOMs were working just fine last time I used them in 2019.

Because of the difficulties, I ended up buying a newer, (faster), desktop and parts for a new NAS, (also faster).

As for the Supermicro SATA DOMs being MLC, as long as they have enough spare cells and good firmware, that should make them reasonably reliable. I would prefer SLC, but they are harder to find in the last few years. So, I went with a name brand that had little to no complaints about them, (for SATA DOMs), Supermicro.

blanchet

Guru
iXsystems use SATADOM in their FreeNAS Certified servers. I have such a server for 3 years, and the SATADOM works very well
I cannot tell which manufacturer they use, because dmesg reports them as 32GB SATA Flash Drive SFDK003L
(The server is in production so I cannot pull it from the rack to look inside.)

Anyways, if you pick industrial grade SATADOM from ATP or INNODISK , it should work without issues for many years.

NugentS

MVP
Yeah - lots of companies advertising SLC SATADOM - but no prices - a bad sign IMO