Any plans to include byhve in FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I just spent some time mucking around with a virtualbox jail and thought "I hate virtualbox. It would be really cool to have FreeNAS be a bhyve host."
Are there any concrete (or somewhat speculative) to make this so?
If so, will we have to wait till FreeNAS 10.x or is there a possibility of bhyve making it into 9.3?

BTW, contrary to all appearances otherwise in the title of this post, I can actually spell "bhyve" properly at least 66% of the time.

D

dlavigne

Eventually. It won't be in the 9.x series as bhyve wasn't part of FreeBSD until 10.0. There will be a better idea of which features will make it into 10.0 once 9.3 is out the door.

Nindustries

Patron
May I ask why you hate Virtualbox? It's a wonderfull piece of software.
Don't expect bhyve support in the near future, FN needs to switch to BSD 10 and implement bhyve, which is a radical decision. (Im not saying it's not a cool one, but radical to say the least)
It may take a bit before it even makes it to the beta's.

mattlach

Patron
I've been running VM's on my NAS box for years.

I just run VMWare ESXi with FreeNAS as a guest. Just get a controller compatible with pass through and a VT-D / IOMMU compatible system, and it works fantastically.

I've never used Bhyve, but I find that VirtualBox is less compatible and less refined than VMWares products. There's a reason they are the market leader.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It is unnecessary to respond to a question that is more than 3 weeks old. Gonna lock this thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.