Any issues/shortcomings with Supermicro X11SSM-F?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Smark

Dabbler
I'm planning my first FreeNAS build. The server will be used mostly for long-term storage of files in my home network, and I'll probably configure it in 4/6/8 drive Raid-Z2. I'm leaning towards the Supermicro X11SSM-F board, mostly because those 8 SATA ports will give me plenty of flexibility if I do decide for an 8-drive array. Also, I've been told repeatedly that a board with IPMI is worth the extra cost.

What I would like to know is whether there are any issues or shortcomings with this particular board, particularly when it comes to FreeNAS support. And even more importantly, does it lack any features that I'm going to miss down the road? (As I said, this is my first FreeNAS build. At first I wasn't even taking IPMI into account...)

Jon Smark

Dabbler
Just to be clear: this board seems to be well-supported and on paper it has all the features I need. I just want to be sure that once I get more experienced with FreeNAS I won't be kicking myself because the board lacks a "defrobulator feature" whose importance I don't realise now...

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
What I would like to know is whether there are any issues or shortcomings with this particular board, particularly when it comes to FreeNAS support. And even more importantly, does it lack any features that I'm going to miss down the road?
While I lack the power of predicting your future needs and desires, I can only speak from personal user experience (see my sig for system details).
I feel this is one of the best boards to build a basic FreeNAS server with, my favorite aspect of this particular board is the four PCIe expansion slots,
the 64GB RAM capacity and the two powered SATA ports (the yellow ones) for SATA DOM use. You can go for a board with a built on SAS controller
and spend more money, but I chose the "expandability" of PCIe and the use of add-on cards.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I would not hesitate to build a server based on that board. Good choice.

pschatz100

Guru
Once you learn how to use IPMI to help manage your system, you'll never buy another server motherboard without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.