any changes to the UPS service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UK_Dave

Dabbler
Hi,

if this is answered in change notes or something obvious I apologise but today my FreeNAS box shut down when the UPS kicked in (logs show on-battery event and shut down initialised shortly after) but it didn't email me as it normally does.

Is there a known bug that can cause this? My box last emailed me of a UPS event on the 22nd of December and I've not changed any thing on it since then.

a test email from the system menu came through to my email account just fine

currently on FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-20161181840. I see there's a pending update though which I'll run tonight.

APC back-ups Pro-1500 connected via USB using the following settings:
Identifier: APC
Driver: APC ups 2 Back-UPS Pro USB
port: /dev/ugen0.3
shutdown mode: UPS goes on battery
shutdown timer: 30
Monitor user: upsmon
Monitor Password: fixmepass
send email Status updates: checked

Thanks,
Dave

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well there could be a few reasons why... Maybe your internet connection dropped while the email was being sent, or your ISP dropped the email packet. I've not heard of anything which would cause the issue you have mentioned. Maybe a test on your end to verify things are actually working... Unplug your UPS power cord and see what happens. Also, is your internet connection powered by your UPS or not?

UK_Dave

Dabbler
I plan to trip the UPS power (input) tonight and see if it does email me but I'm at work so can't just now. My modem, router and network switches are all off the same UPS that FreeNAS is on but yes, it is entirely possible my internet went down at the same time- I suppose if there was a power cut across my entire town the local exchange for the cable may have been taken out too.

Thanks for the input.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I would see what happens when you also disconnect the internet just to see if you get an email after power is restored. I haven't tested that myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.