BUILD Another FreeNAS configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMiGAmann

Contributor
Hi there,

I'm planning to replace my Synology units with one big FreeNAS unit soon. Currently the units are mainly used for storing files like movies (BD rips), PC image backups, and so on.

But I'm not quite sure what will be used in the future, virtualization seems to be interesting, also Plex seems to be quite comfortable, so I'm planning to build a NAS with a "buffer" for future usage.

I checked the hardware recommendations here in the forum and that's what seems to be a good configuration for me:

Case: Fantec SRC-2080X07 (as short 19" case as possible)
Board: Supermicro X10SL7-F-O
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231V3 (boxed)
RAM: 2x Samsung M391B1G73QH0-YK0 8GB
PSU: Sea Sonic SS-500L2U 500W
Boot device: Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB

Is that a good configuration?

I am not really happy about the number of drives. This configuration supports "only" 8 drives. This is enough for the data I have today (~20TB), but the "buffer" for future data seems to be quite small (maximum recommended usage with 8*6TB, RAIDZ2 is ~28TB).

I would be happier if I could use at least 12 drives. But the next bigger case from Fantec (with a short depth) is Fantec SRC-3160X07 which supports 16 drives. In that case I would probably need a bigger power supply (at least for maximum number of 16 drives) and an additional HBA, because the X10SL7-F supports "only" 14 drives. Am I correct?

What do you recommend? Start with the small configuration and try to extend it later or directly go with the big one?

Thanks for your comments!

AMiGAmann

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
an additional HBA, because the X10SL7-F supports "only" 14 drives. Am I correct?
Or an expander, but an HBA is typically cheaper.

What do you recommend? Start with the small configuration and try to extend it later or directly go with the big one?
Unfortunately, you're ultimately the one who needs to answer this question.
I will say that if you plan to expand, it's a good idea to make it easy.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Or an expander, but an HBA is typically cheaper.

Unfortunately, you're ultimately the one who needs to answer this question.
I will say that if you plan to expand, it's a good idea to make it easy.

I got a damn good deal on some Intel SAS expanders. $60 each.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I got a damn good deal on some Intel SAS expanders. $60 each.
That is damned good deal. SAS3 expanders were going for 250 bucks for a 3-pack (or was it a 5-pack) a while back... I wonder if those are still available. Also a great deal once SAS3 stabilizes and if you can use that many expanders or sell the extras.

AMiGAmann

Contributor
I guess I tend to the bigger solution to be able to add some more HDs if required:

Case: Fantec SRC-3160X07 (as short 19" case as possible)
Board: Supermicro X10SL7-F-O
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231V3 (boxed)
RAM: 2x Samsung M391B1G73QH0-YK0 8GB
PSU: Sea Sonic SS-500L2U 500W
Additional HBA: IBM ServeRAID M1015
Boot device: Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB

What kind of PSU is required for such an amount of disks (maximum 16)? I guess the 500W is too small, isn't it? The manufacturer of the case offers the case in combination with a 700W PSU: http://fantec.de/produkte/serverprodukte/netzteile/produkt/details/artikel/2508_sure_star_tc_2u70el/ - although it is not as efficient as the Sea Sonic unit.

Are there any good, efficient PSU above 500W?

Do you have any comments to the configuration?

Best regards,
AMiGAmann

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
For 16 drives, you're probably looking at the 650W range.

I don't know much about PSUs in unusual formats, but Seasonic's products are generally very good to excellent.

AMiGAmann

Contributor
Hi Eric,

the biggest SeaSonic 2U PSU I found is the SS- 600 H2U... so probably not powerful enough?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That PSU seems a bit dubious. If you can't find an appropriate Seasonic unit, other good manufacturers are Delta and Flextronics.

AMiGAmann

Contributor
I have a question to the recommended memory population of the Supermicro X10SL7-F-O.

Channel A, Slot 1
Channel A, Slot 2 (Blue Slot)
Channel B, Slot 1
Channel B, Slot 2 (Blue Slot)

SuperMicro has a table containing memory population guidelines in the manual, but I actually do not understand it. I am not sure whether I should put two modules in slots 1 and 2 of channel A or whether I should prefer slot 1 of channels A and B. In the forum I even read that the blue slot should be used (meaning slot 2 of channels A and B). Regarding "normal" desktop boards I would probably put the two modules into slot 1 of channels A and B.

I am quite confused, can anybody help?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Don't place two DIMMs right next to each other if you're only installing two of them. Install them like this:

Code:
A1 A2 B1 B2
XX -- XX --

or

-- XX -- XX

Depending on what Supermicro recommends.

Status
Not open for further replies.