Another First Build Question Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakemaster

Cadet
Hello All,

Been trolling the forums for a while now trying to compile a list in my head of what I think would work in my situation and pull it all together. The goal of this build is to act as a NAS, and transcoder somewhere in the future. To that end I have been looking up the hardware I likely need and settled on the following.

CPU: E3-1230v3
MOBO: SuperMicro X10SL7-F
PSU: SeaSonic SSP-450RT
HDD: 3x 1 TB WD Blacks
Case: Fractal Node 304 Black
RAM: 2x 8GB ECC compatible Samsung Sticks

I currently own the Blacks, which is why the choice. Once I get things running and tested I plan on upgrading the drives, just saves the money in the short term.

The main reason for the PSU, is to future proof a bit to allow me to use the SAS ports in the future but also because I remember reading on the forums that the suggested PSU should have a 120mm fan. The issue I am having here is looking at the Nodes layout, it appears that the fan will be blowing its hot air into the case, and directly into the HDD's. Has anyone put in this size, or this exact PSU into a Node Case and can offer thoughts on if I should look elsewhere on the PSU? I would like to stick to a gold standard PSU for the energy savings if possible. Also is using a modular PSU even feasible in this size of a case?

Thanks for the help

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Most of that build looks good. Be mindful of RAM though as Supermicro IIRC pulled some 8GB DIMMs from their compatibility list. Make sure you buy models on the approved list.

The issue I am having here is looking at the Nodes layout, it appears that the fan will be blowing its hot air into the case, and directly into the HDD's.

If it's blowing into the case, you assembled it wrong. The intake fan on the PSU should be on the bottom of the case, pulling in from below, with the exhaust aligned with the vent on the right hand panel. Air comes in, air goes out. No internal exhaust.

Also is using a modular PSU even feasible in this size of a case?

Anandtech suggested not to due to clearance issues when they used theirs as it was 180mm including the modular connectors. I'd suggest sticking to a shorter one. No suggestions offhand.

wakemaster

Cadet
Ah thank you, hard to see the vent from the images. Solves that issues in my head. I convert it to 150mm long, so I might be good then, it says less than 160 for the case.

D4nthr4x

Explorer
That motherboard won't fit in that case it's Micro ATX, you need a mini ITX motherboard.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You're right.

I wonder why i didn't notice this mistake myself.

wakemaster

Cadet
Thanks, that was a good catch. Too many _TX floating around in the design layout. I was looking at the Define Mini as an alternative. Seems similar to the Define R4 which I see people recommend. But I really don't need the 10 bays of drive storage for this build. The images on the site confuse me though. It appears to have a sound dampening door on the front, looks like a decent seal. But behind the door is a 120mm fan for over the HDD's which I like. Does anyone have experience with this and how much air the fan is actually able to take in with the door closed? Or can I resided to taking it off if I want to be able to use the front fan mounting points?

joelmusicman

Patron
Wakemaster: If you like the Node form factor (I own one), then Asrock is just about the only game in town. The mITX E3C224D2I is what I use, and so far FreeNAS hasn't complained. I definitely second the 120mm fan PSU recommendation, intaking air from the bottom. I'm using 6x3tb 7200rpm Seagates in mine, which I am now regretting (vice NAS spec'd drives) because they are running a bit hot (32-35C with the fan switch on high). With a smaller PSU like the Seasonic 360, I wound up using almost all the connectors anyway, (and a molex -> 2 SATA adapter) so there wouldn't be much benefit for modular.

Regarding the Define, I've never owned one but the ARC mini R2 is exactly the same as the Define mini without some of the silence-oriented features (like the front door). Might be a better choice for us FreeNAS users since we are highly likely to populate all the drive spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.