AMD Epyc Embedded 3000 series, BSD support?

diskdiddler

Wizard
Well, anyone in the development team got access to this stuff? I know my old Turion has actually had pretty nice support for nearly 4 years now. I was worried FN10 or 11 might 'break' on AMD but nope, I've been happy.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-epyc-ryzen-embedded-v1000-3000,36556.html

The 3251 looks like a very slick NAS (well, a little high on the power) but could really do some nice VM / Docker / Jail work and have room to move.
Hopefully it's under $350 US in bulk, so SuperMicro can do sub $600 boards.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, it's very interesting, but they haven't listed FreeBSD support, as far as I've seen. I expect it will take a while, how long exactly depending mostly on compatibility with existing Ryzen/Epyc code.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I see the odd post with Ryzen problems in the forums, I don't know if those are due to AMD or just bad luck on hardware.

I (would imagine) that Ryzen and Epyc are fully supported in BSD by now though.
I hope they add 5G capable NIC if SuperMicro releases something.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's more of an inaction kind of thing. If AMD sent out advance engineering samples and documentation, plenty of people in the FreeBSD community would be glad to help with the drivers.

I (would imagine) that Ryzen and Epyc are fully supported in BSD by now though.
Most things were solved by the time FreeNAS 11.1 branched off from FreeBSD 11, but some things have been fixed since and some even ended up in the 12 branch only (for some reason...).

diskdiddler

Wizard
It's more of an inaction kind of thing. If AMD sent out advance engineering samples and documentation, plenty of people in the FreeBSD community would be glad to help with the drivers.

Most things were solved by the time FreeNAS 11.1 branched off from FreeBSD 11, but some things have been fixed since and some even ended up in the 12 branch only (for some reason...).

Oh really? Elaborate? Would you say it's effectively unwise to run FreeNAS on a Ryzen system now? (if you want stability / full features?)
Based on that, sounds like waiting for FN12 for Epyc, in the very least?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Oh really? Elaborate? Would you say it's effectively unwise to run FreeNAS on a Ryzen system now? (if you want stability / full features?)
I haven't been following it closely, but there still some occasional complaints.

Based on that, sounds like waiting for FN12 for Epyc, in the very least?
It's hard to say. The example I mentioned was CPU temperature monitoring, and that's probably going to be backported. I'd expect the major stuff to land/already have landed in 11.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Ahh CPU monitoring isn't so bad. I guess it's just a patience game.
At least there's some alternatives. I hope the 8 core model can 4k plex transcode (and do all the other stuff needed) We shall see.
Now to wait for board announcements :/

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm hoping for a Ryzen version with two DIMMs per channel.

diskdiddler

Wizard

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The demo board that has been shown only has one DIMM per channel. When used with the Ryzen part, that means a maximum of two DIMMs, which is on the low side of things.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Well I'm the big ITX fanboy, I'm happy with 2x16GB DIMMs. I guess it depends on the type of server you're intending to build.
I guess I see what you're saying though, if you get a full ATX board with the 4 channels, you could really add a lot of memory with 8 DIMM slots.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
With good pricing, the Ryzen versions in miniITX form factor sound like a very interesting upgrade path from Avoton without the expense of Intel's ridiculous pricing on old Xeon-D, ludicrous pricing on C3000 and positively plaid pricing on new Xeon-D.

diskdiddler

Wizard
When you keep referring to Ryzen versions, are you talking about the V1000 or the Snowy Owl 3000?
Or ..... do you mean the Epyc 1 die (up to 8 cores, similar to Ryzen) vs the Epyc 2 die (up to 16 cores, more like threadripper / Epyc) ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I mean the embedded part they're calling Ryzen, with a single die.

hungarianhc

Patron
Wow. The pricing on these chips is SO competitive. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I mean the embedded part they're calling Ryzen, with a single die.

Sorry I'm still confused, are you talking about the 1000 series or the 3000! <confused>

diskdiddler

Wizard
Wow. The pricing on these chips is SO competitive. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

A shame the pricing isn't out for all of the models unfortunately. (unless you know something I don't?) - we only have pricing for 2, which I'd say is expensive, but that's because they're high end models.

hungarianhc

Patron
A shame the pricing isn't out for all of the models unfortunately. (unless you know something I don't?) - we only have pricing for 2, which I'd say is expensive, but that's because they're high end models.
Well, true. I'm just seeing pricing for the 3301, which is listed as $450. That is significantly less than the C3000 / Xeon D chips I was looking at already, but I'm going to target the 3201 / 3251, which are lower spec'd units, thus likely costing less than the 3301.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Well, true. I'm just seeing pricing for the 3301, which is listed as $450. That is significantly less than the C3000 / Xeon D chips I was looking at already, but I'm going to target the 3201 / 3251, which are lower spec'd units, thus likely costing less than the 3301.

I don't know if this article is correct but I'm not impressed with the pricing.
https://www.nextplatform.com/2018/02/22/amd-gets-zen-edge/
amd-epyc-3000-table.jpg

Really, $450 for the 3251? (It's so dis proportionally expensive compared to the other 2 channel chips, you'd have to wonder if it's a mistake?)

diskdiddler

Wizard
It's nearly 3 months later and there's nary a word on this processor being around except in one, custom networking device out of Taiwan or Singapore.

Does anyone in the industry have any information on this thing?