AM3 CPU Suggestions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antsrealm

Explorer
Hi I currently have a sempron LE-145 single core cpu that is maxing out on cifs and since updating to 9.1.0 even sftp transfers are eating up to much cpu so it's time to go and get a new cpu.

I was looking at a FX-4300 for around $125 and @ 95W full load power consumption. Is that a good choice? I'm running a Z1 raid array of 5 x 3tb drives and have 16gb of ram.

Thanks,
Tony.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh my.. another RAIDZ1.

Sir.Robin

Guru
I think your CPU choice is fine. Running a FX-4100 myself.

You might wanna (as cyberjock chokes at) change your array to Raidz2 though :)

antsrealm

Explorer
Oh my.. another RAIDZ1.

Yeah thanks for the response. The hardware recommendations link was exactly what I was after!

However the conclusion is that my $100 standard asus mother board and cpu are rubbish, my non-ecc 16gb of ram is rubbish and now my Z1 volume is apparently rubbish, also if I told you I was using WD green drives you'd probably say that's rubbish as well.

Ahh well all part of the learning. I priced the Xeon processor, a low end server board that supports it and ECC mem then I looked at the ECC ram (F... that is expensive for 32GB ($475 alone).

Now I want to get this all right once and for all so now the hardware looks like its figured out the Z1 vs Z2. I can see why now but I didn't when I created the Z1 volume two years ago, so what are my options now to say add an additional drive and convert to Z2?

From what I can tell I'll have to try and back up 7tb of data elsewhere, recreate the volume and send it all back ??

Thanks for the info there really is a bit to know and not always easy to find. I did read the manual several times in particular the hardware section hence why I was looking to upgrade the CPU in regards to CIFS.

Sir.Robin

Guru
I ffel yah :)

But u can find cheaper ecc... It shouldnt be much more than conventional memory.
Check out crucial.

Also your mobo most likely support it... And that fx cpu do too.

So you won't have to exchange everything!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
However the conclusion is that my $100 standard asus mother board and cpu are rubbish, my non-ecc 16gb of ram is rubbish and now my Z1 volume is apparently rubbish, also if I told you I was using WD green drives you'd probably say that's rubbish as well.

In a redneck voice "Stop right there sunny! I got 24xWD Greens and with the wdidle tool they work great!"

Ahh well all part of the learning. I priced the Xeon processor, a low end server board that supports it and ECC mem then I looked at the ECC ram (F... that is expensive for 32GB ($475 alone).
I just bought 32GB of ECC RAM for my server and it was $300. Cheaper can be found elsewhere. RAM speed doesn't matter that much.. so don't pay extra for those higher clock rates.

Now I want to get this all right once and for all so now the hardware looks like its figured out the Z1 vs Z2. I can see why now but I didn't when I created the Z1 volume two years ago, so what are my options now to say add an additional drive and convert to Z2?

From what I can tell I'll have to try and back up 7tb of data elsewhere, recreate the volume and send it all back ??

Yes, rebuild your zpool is the ONLY option. Read my guide(link in my sig).. I explained that exact scenario because I got tired of people not knowing that limitation. You could create a new zpool on your server and then do a copy from the command line to your new improved RAIDZ2 pool. :)

Thanks for the info there really is a bit to know and not always easy to find. I did read the manual several times in particular the hardware section hence why I was looking to upgrade the CPU in regards to CIFS.

There's lots of info. In fact, everything that's been discussed in this thread can be found if you only read the manual and the stickies in the forum.

antsrealm

Explorer
Yeah no problem, I'll look into 'wdidle' tool I hadn't heard of that. So far my experience with the greens has also been a good one and I've used them for many years now. I'm in Australia and hardware just seems to be more expensive here but i'll shop around on the ECC.

Thanks again, I'm on the righteous path now :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
When it comes to hardware, its about having the right tool for the right job. What hardware is great for a desktop isn't necessarily a good choice for a server. :P

Good luck! It looks like you're on a much better path now.

antsrealm

Explorer
Just a quick one on the wdidle tool. I haven't used it before but it looks like I had better get it.

I saw a youtube video on it but if you could just advise what setting to use that would be great. My FreeNas runs 24/7 so I thought that was enough ??? Going to re-create volume to Z2 next weekend so might do it then.

What should I set using wdidle ??

Thanks,
Tony.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I just set it to 300 seconds. I'm not sure the exact parameters off the top of my head.

TheSmoker

Patron
Just set it to disabled. There is a parameter for this but i do not remeber it. You can see all params with wdidle3.exe /?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.