Am I doing this right? FreeNAS baremetal to ESXi Host for HomeLab

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamedude9742

Dabbler
Thanks for all the input everyone! Really do appreciate it. I did order that power supply so its on its way. Pretty sure that's the last part ill need to buy. Except hard drives of course when I make the jump to reds.
Come on black Friday deals!

Next question I have is zvols in a zpool are striped correct?
For example, if I had to zvols, each just a single hd. If either one fails the data is gone, so that would mean reading and writing to the zpool is striped correct?

If all the above is right to make a raid 10 type setup in zfs I would make multiple mirrored zvols and add them to the same zpool.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
A zvol is a virtual block device. The term you're looking for is vdev. Pools are made up of striped vdevs, always.

gamedude9742

Dabbler
A zvol is a virtual block device. The term you're looking for is vdev. Pools are made up of striped vdevs, always.
Ahh okay. Thank you. So my understanding is correct minus the wrong terminology used. DOH.

So zvols go into vdevs. Vdevs that contain mirrored zvols and are added to a zpool become stripped. Result is RAID 0+1

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Stux

MVP
zpools are made up of vdevs (virtual devices) which are made of actual devices (ie hard drives). Redudancy comes from the virtual devices.

zpools contain datasets and zvols.

datasets are zfs file systems (ie directories with files in them)
zvols are virtual block devices... which can then be mounted/formatted and treated as virtual hard drives. Much like a loopback device on other file systems.

Conceptually, a zvol could be considered a large file on the zpool.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
For those that aren't as smart like me maybe @jgreco could update his Proper Power Supply Sizing Guidance post to include the Focus alongside the G series.

This is actually the first I'd heard of this, which probably speaks volumes about the number of standard PC's we build here these days. I've added a FYI note to the PPSG. If anyone runs across technical reviews of the PSU that actually analyze the quality of components, etc., I'd like to see them. I just don't have the time to go off hunting through websites right now to see if I can identify competent reviews vs fanboi mania. Thanks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.