All jails installed in 9.10 require reboot to obtain IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad1976

Dabbler
Perhaps this may be a procedure thing, but 9.10 doesn't seem to be obtaining an IP address from my router unless I reboot the entire server...

Steps in 9.3:

1. Install jail plugins (doesn't matter what plugin).
2. Set jail config to DHCP.
3. Access router config and do one of the following (either worked just as well):
a) allow the jail to pull an IP from router
b) add entry to DHCP reservation list
c) change auto IP address to desired IP address within DHCP Reservation Table
4. Go to Jails tab, select desired Jail and click the "restart" button. (Jail restarts and successfully runs under my desired IP address.)

However, in 9.10, whenever I restart the jail, it never seems to access the DHCP in the router to get an IP. The only way I was able to get an IP for the jails is to copy and paste the MAC and "manually" add an entry into the DHCP Res Table. And even then, the only way I can get the Jail to pick up the address is to reboot the entire server...

Now I will say that this is not a big thing, as I'm a single home with only a few family users, so maintenence and some down time to reboot is NOT a big deal for me at all... But who knows whoever else out there mught be having the same problem or if there may actually be something wrong...

(Also, please forgive me if I haven't updated the FreeNAS version in my signature, but I'm at a Bowling League for my son at the moment, but I did manually check for an update as of last night and I'm at the latest 9.10 install...)

Edit: showed the post to my better half to read and she made me correct some smelling pisstakes... :smile:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
whoops, wrong thread. ignore

D

dlavigne

Sounds like a dhclient issue. Does manually running dhclient interface_name within a newly started jail give any errors or does it successfully obtain an address?

Brad1976

Dabbler
dlavigne, I'm just running out the door... I'll check this evening and report back. :)

flatrick

Cadet
I've run into this issue as well, if my memory serves me right from googling the other day it's a bug in 9.10 that they won't fix since they do it in an entirely new way in FreeNAS 10.X.
A "workaround" that works for me is that I let FreeNAS set the IP on the jails and exclude the range FreeNAS uses in my DHCP-server instead of having the jails run dhclient.

Brad1976

Dabbler
dlavigne, sorry for the delay, but my son got sick yesterday and had to get him on the path to healthy as his grandparents are taking him on a cuise and leaving on Saturday!!! (lucky bugger... lol)

Anyway I just tried with a new fresh install of the owncloud plugin. These are the steps that I took:

1. Went to Jails>Configuration and noticed that the "IPv4 DHCP" was disabled; so I enabled it and saved.
2. Install owncloud plugin.
3. Edit config and confirmed "IPv4 DHCP was enabled". yes it was.
4. Access router firmware and manually created entry in DHCP Reservation table for owncloud and pasted in the MAC Address for the owncloud jail. Saved table and rebooted router.
5. Attempted to restart jail so it would pull DHCP address from router. (IN 9.3 this worked like a charm 100% of the time. Now in 9.10, it be broken...)

According to the messages in the bottom I get the following:

April 8 15:02:36 freenas kernal: epair6a: link status changed to down
April 8 15:02:36 freenas kernal: epair6a: link status changed to down
April 8 15:02:36 freenas kernal: epair6b: link status changed to down
April 8 15:02:36 freenas kernal: epair6b: link status changed to down
April 8 15:02:39 freenas kernal: ifa_del_loopback_route: deletion filed: 48
April 8 15:02:39 freenas Freed UMA keg (udp_incb_ was not empty (270 items). Lost 27 pages of memory.
April 8 15:02:39 freenas Freed UMA keg (udpcb) was not empty (2338 items). Lost 14 pages of memory.
April 8 15:02:39 freenas Freed UMA keg (tcp_inpcb) was not empty (90 items). Lost 9 pages of memory.
April 8 15:02:39 freenas Freed UMA keg (tcpcb) was not empty (27 items). Lost 9 pages of memory.
April 8 15:02:39 freenas Freed UMA keg (ripcb) was not empty (30 items). Lost 3 pages of memory.
April 8 15:02:39 freenas hhook_vnet_uninit: hook_head type=1, id=1 cleanup required.
April 8 15:02:39 freenas hhook_vnet_uninit: hook_head type=1, id=0 cleanup required.
April 8 15:02:39 freenas devd: Excuting '/etc/pccard_ether epair6a start'
April 8 15:02:39 freenas epair6a Ethernet address: 02:ff:20:00:0b:0a
April 8 15:02:39 freenas epair6b Ethernet address: 02:ff:70:00:0c:0b
April 8 15:02:39 freenas kernal: epair6a: link status changed to UP
April 8 15:02:39 freenas kernal: epair6a: link status changed to UP
April 8 15:02:39 freenas kernal: epair6b: link status changed to UP
April 8 15:02:39 freenas kernal: epair6b: link status changed to UP
April 8 15:02:39 freenas kernal: epair6a: promiscuous mode enabled
April 8 15:02:39 freenas devd: Executing '/etc/pccard_ether epair6b start'
April 8 15:02:39 freenas kernal: ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't re-name node epair6b
April 8 15:02:39 freenas kernal: ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't re-name node epair6b
April 8 15:02:39 freenas devd: Executing 'etc/rc.d/dhclient quietstart epair6a'
April 8 15:02:39 freenas manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:621] An error occured while unserializing from http://[myIP]/plugins/owncloud/7/_s/treemenu: NO JSON object could be decoded

Oh, and for the record, no I'm NOT a unix guy..... I've been forever spoiled and tainted by Windoze... I'm sorry, but yeah, I typed that all in from the message console via the GUI... (Insomnia occasionally caused me brain power to drop exponentially....) :(

Other than that, I do have my work around, I know how to make it work, so personally I'm not too worried. And as per that other thread it looks like I'm not alone and the DEV's do know about it, which is good enough for me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.