Alfresco talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazeStar

Patron
Hi guys,

I'm using FreeNAS 9.10 latest.

I've been looking for a nice ECM (enterprise content management) and after testing around with VMs, I fell in love with Alfresco.

Now I'm trying to find discussions about it in a FreeNAS environment and I've found none.
More specifically, I'm looking for a "best practices" guide, so I don't need to experiment too much and start over 100 times.

I run a FreeNAS server with all my data on it, with a distant FreeNAS server for replication.
On the side, I have three nodes running PROXMOX on which I have several virtual servers.
The storage for all these PROXMOX nodes come from one NFS share on my FreeNAS system.
The FreeNAS machine has two ethernet cards, and I use one of them to create an mini-network between FreeNAS and the three PROXMOX nodes.
The NFS service only binds to the IP of the ethernet card for the so-called mini-network.
Finally, for file sharing with users, I use FreeNAS built-in CIFS service.
Up to now, it's been working like a charm since a few years.

Now I was thinking of running Alfresco on a virtual server.
Then let it access a dedicated share on FreeNAS (NFS share most likely, unless you recommend otherwise).

In terms, it would completely replace the need for the CIFS shares service on FreeNAS.
Which is actually a good thing since I would like as few users as possible accessing FreeNAS directly.
It would also solve a problem I've been having and which I was never able to solve: changing files and folders permissions WITHIN a CIFS share. I could never get that working, so I'm stuck with all files and folders inheriting the access rights from the share itself, which is not always convenient.

Alfresco seems to be handling access rights really well.
It is also awesome to be able to create Workflows and such.
Finally, I've been trying to deal with Own Cloud, an OpenVPN server and stuff like that to access some files outside of the LAN and it's just not convenient. Alfresco also solves that!

All that being said, I would like to know if anyone has been using Alfresco and could point out to PROS and CONS.

I'm quite concerned about performance issue too (big files, etc).

Any comment or recommendation would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.